Playing music without creating playlists

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ben777, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Ben777 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone :)

I moved from PC to Mac. Loving it, learning how to use.

1. I am disturbed that I cannot just simply open my "MUSIC" folder and click "enter" on songs or albums to play them. Anything similar o this on Mac?

2. When I play music iTunes instantly creates playlist which stays on my player unless I deleate it. Next time I open iTunes previous playlist is still sitting there. I am tired of deleting songs form my playlist and draging new ones into player.

Winamp player behaves the same way on Mac :(

Why can't I just play my songs and then simply close my player - no traces, no complicated playlist system?

Does anyone have an advise? :)

2. GGJstudios, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you play songs using iTunes, it automatically adds it to your iTunes library, but does not create a playlist. If you want to simply listen to a song without it being added to your iTunes library, select the song in Finder and press the spacebar to preview the song.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have never seen iTunes create a playlist by itself unless the user specifically creates one.

4. Ben777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! :)

I am sorry, maybe it's "library", I am not sure. :)

Does someone know player for Mac which wouldn't authomatically create libraries?

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

What PC app were you using and how were you playing music? Were you selecting each track? Did the player just play files in the folder sequentially? Something else?

Why can't you just play music from your library? A folder's a container in much the same way that a library is. What's the perceived benefit of your approach?

6. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

iTunes always has a library and can only have one library. The library is like saying "all music".

All songs are always in the library, if you want to have a "folder", "mix tape" etc. like place you create a playlist and add music to it. If you add a song to a playlist it will still show up in the library too.

What I would suggest is you drag all your music from your old music folder into iTunes (it will then all be in the library). If you want to do more sorting, start making playlists.

I'm assuming you are running a newer version of iTunes which would mean that the sidebar is hidden by default. I would recommend showing it as it make iTunes a lot easier to use and understand. To show the sidebar when in iTunes, in the menubar click on View > Show Sidebar.

This was a very brief explanation of iTunes. If you have any trouble just ask. By the way if you figure out iTunes you should pat yourself on the back because iTunes is one of the most unintuitive Mac apps, but it does do a good job. ;)

7. Ben777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Simon48, I'll give it a try :)

Just a question - does copying Music folders to iTunes create double mp3/wav files? I mean, does it take additional disc space? Or does it just create sort of shortcuts and takes no disc space?

It matters to me. My Music folders are big. I use many wav for my audio mixing purposes.

I was using Winamp by default. I would just select songs I needed, then hit "Enter". After I am done listening, I close player. Done and gone :)

For quite some years I got used to my folder system: I have folders for Wav, for mp3, weird names like Modern metal/Easy listening/Reference files/Glam reference/Pop reference ... it goes on. Some marked with different category-colours :)

Can I keep this folder system in iTunes? :(

Thanks a lot for help!

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

iTunes copies music to its library location by default, but you can uncheck the box in preferences.

Your folder organization sounds rather hard to move into iTunes if you want to keep all the structures, etc, especially if you are unfamiliar with the program. If you are willing to put in the time to properly set up your iTunes library you will get the benefit of more advanced tagging options, smart playlists, easy sync with your i-device, instant search and much more.

Your way of doing things is definitely legit, and I know many people prefer it to Library-style approach (same story with photos, too). But if you are open-minded and want to try something different, you could very well discover a more efficient method.

iTunes has its drawbacks, as all things do, but give it a try and see if its worth your trouble.

9. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

Give Cog a go. It presents your file system as your music library. You select what you want to play and hit play.

http://cogx.org/development.php

I used Cog a while back. it's been several OS revs since I used it so I can't vouch for it's compatibility with Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks.

10. Ben777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for help, I will look into these options :)