'Playing' old MiniDV tapes on HDV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by formang, Apr 18, 2009.

1. formang macrumors newbie

:apple:misters

I have a whole archive of MiniDV tapes made since 2001 with a Canon Mv200i. I was putting off converting them until I got a new iMac that could handle what I wanted to do. Now that I have that, I went to drop the miniDV tapes into iMovie and found that the Canon is broken and cannot play them.

I would like to buy a HDV (Canon HV30) because I read that it can 'use' the original MiniDV tapes. I want to get a newer technology that can play old footage as well. The video shop assistants are of no help and seem to start twitch when you mention Apple Mac.

Q. Can I play my old footage on a HDV in order for it to be imported into iMove over firewire?

Thanks,

Glenn

2. ibglowin macrumors regular

Yes,

I have a newer Sony HDV camcorder and it can play back my old DV tapes just fine. :p

3. formang thread starter macrumors newbie

Use of Canon MD225

Thanks for that.
    Has anyone had any trouble using Canon MD225 on iMovie 09?

The apple site does not specifically say it is compatible, but Canon and Apple Macs have normally been pretty good.

4. DCstewieG macrumors member

DCstewieG

5. edoates macrumors 6502

Why not go into the video store that carries the HV30 you want, and bring along a mini-DV (standard definition) video tape with some non-critical recordings. Put it into the demo camera and press play. If it shows up in the cameras monitor, then it works, and will be output from the Firewire connection.

Eddie O