playing podcasts without app

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by psg2000, Sep 19, 2013.

1. psg2000 macrumors member

I like being able to play podcasts within the music app.
    I was able to do this previously by deleting the podcast app (slow, looks bad, and i like to flip between audio: music or podcast) and then they'd play within the music app.
    simple.
    now with the update (i cannot delete podcasts from itunes 11) and i don't seem to be able to play podcasts on my iphone 4 at all.

anyone found a workaround?

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Unfortunately gone. You'll have to get a third party app, or download Apple's Podcast app from the store.

I would recommend the former very strongly.

3. psg2000 thread starter macrumors member

4. wafflejuice macrumors newbie

The workaround I use (that worked in iOS 6 and now 7) was to set the "Media Kind" in iTunes to "Music" (select podcast. command key + I, Options tab) because I like to organize my podcasts into playlists and the Music app is the only way you can do that. Some people (especially iTunes Match users) don't want to do this because they don't want their music and podcasts mixed and that's understandable.

If that's the case (and playlist functionality isn't important to you) the Apple app is an option but also third-party podcast playlist managers. iOS 7 DID hose the ability to have video playlists in the Music app though, and I grabbed a video playlist manager (Run VT) but it leaves a lot to be desired. Looking around for a better one.

5. Gryz macrumors member

I unfortunately downloaded the Apple Podcast app which is not very good IMO. But I was wondering if someone knew if there was an equalizer option for it like there is for "Music." There doesn't seem to be, but I'm not sure.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

No, it's just junk.

Downcast and Pocket Casts are much better, and both have automatic background downloading overnight in iOS7, which is very cool.