Playing Ripped DVD on VLC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, Mar 22, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Good Afternoon,

I was looking for some assistance with playing .voc files using VLC. I ripped a backup copy of my Pirates of the Caribbean 3, which went fine. What I do is open VLC and then "open disc" and select the radio button "video_ts directory". I select the ts folder and click open. It starts to play the menu and I select play movie on the menu and it plays just the menu then exits(quits). Is there something I am doing wrong? Thanks

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

What program did you rip it in???

Have you tried Handbrake? IT is really good for ripping DVD's!

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

.voc files?

VLC works for playing back disc images that I obtained using MacTheRipper and some other Windows based program I use.

4. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I used MTR 3.0 version to rip the disc. I do have handbrake, which I used to convert the ripped MTR file to .mp4 That all worked fine, in the end I have a .mp4 file of the movie that works perfect. But I am just doing backups so I don't want to go to the time of converting it to a .mp4 I have one disc I ripped with MTR and used VLC to play perfect. But this disc just ends after I click play on the DVD menu.

*Update* I am trying to rip with handbrake directly to a .mp4, we will see how this goes. MTR puts it in the audio ts and video ts folders. Looks like handbrake might put it directly into .mp4 file to play with player. Does handbrake down grade the quality at all?

5. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

HB does downgrade the quality...that is why you are going from probably a 5-6 GB file to a ~1GB. Of course, it all depends on how you have the settings. I know that you can just use the regular DVD Player and just open the _TS file...

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

both vlc and dvd player.app will play the video_ts folder created by mtr. just point at the video_ts folder, not the files inside

7. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

swiftaw thats what I am doing, not picking a file, but rather selecting the folder that contains all the files. I know I am selecting the correct folder because the movie i am legend works perfect, but any of my pirates of the caribbean play just choosing the folder labeled video ts. I have to convert them to .mp4 to get them to fully play. It seems on those dvd just pointing to and opening the ts video plays the dvd's menu then when I select the play movie it exits.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What happens if you try playing them in dvd player.app rather than vlc?

9. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

But I am not playing them in a dvd app...I am solely using vlc as my player. I choose the video ts folder in vlc and click ok then play..i get menu then click play movie..it starts to play rolls through the menu and then exits the video.

10. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Well in kind of a last ditch effort I used DVD player that comes with Leopard and pointed it to the ts video folder of the 2 potc movies and it plays perfect. I don't understand why using the same folder of ts video files that vlc will not play it. Once i click play movie it ends or exits? But I think I have got what I needed working ripping with MTR 3.0 an playing them using DD player. I liked vlc but don't know what the issue is that it exits after the play movie is selected. thanks for the tips for now I think I am just going to use dvd player.