Playing the music on my macbook through my tv!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jordanwb, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jordanwb macrumors newbie

I know this question has probably been asked many times before but for some reason I can't get it to work.

I'm having a party and would like to play the music on my macbook through my TV.

I have purchased a jack to phone lead as recommended and plugged the one end into my macbook and then the red and white ends into the tv but nothing happens.

I have tried changing AV channels to hdm1 etc but it doesn't make any difference.

All answers will be gratefully received

Thanks

2. johneaston macrumors regular

Is it definitely in the headphone jack of your Mac?

Once plugged into the TV, select the necessary AV input (there's probably a little symbol next to the inputs on your TV to let you know which one to select - it won't be an HDMI input).

Ensure the red and white phonos on your TV aren't actually outputs.

Check the volume on your Mac is turned up.

What make is your TV.

3. jordanwb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply John,

Do I need a specific headphone jack for my mac? I just bought a generic one from an electrical store.

My TV is LG and is relatively new if that makes any difference

4. johneaston macrumors regular

I meant to just double check you're plugging the jack into the correct output of your Mac - the headphone output rather than the mic input.

5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Many TVs won't display sound unless there is something connected to the associated video input as well. If you're using the red/white RCA jacks, there's most likely a yellow RCA jack or an S-Video jack "clustered" with them. Stick a cable into those, then select the correct source input on the TV (definitely not HDMI, as that transfers it's own sound -- look for "COMPONENT", "AUX", or just "INPUT", usually.

6. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Try System preferences -> Sound-> Output, make sure the jack in selected under output not internal speakers. Restart itunes to make sure it recognizes the switch. Maybe test a set of headphones to ensure the jack is working properly. On the tv it should list right next to the input what it actually is, make sure the tv is set to that input and make sure it is an input not output. If it still doesn't work let us know.

7. tug macrumors 6502

the easiest and quickest way to do this is go get apple tv, plug in and stream your itunes library wirelessly to your tv. it works brilliantly! ;)