playing the sims without the dvd?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maroongordon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. maroongordon macrumors newbie

So I just bought the Sims Complete Collection for my Macbook...it had been years since I've had this game and it's really nice playing it with my 2 gb of ram. :) But something that's been bugging me is that I need to have the DVD in the drive in order to open the game. My Macbook and I are usually nowhere near the DVD whenever I feel like opening it, so this is kind of annoying! Plus I always end up scratching my DVDs which is why I've taken to burning everything (movies, etc) to the hard drive, and really wish I could do that here. I know they don't make no cd cracks for OS X, so I tried making a disc image. However, whenever I try to launch from the image, I get an error message telling me that I don't have enough memory to do so!

So... any suggestions that might help me rid myself of this DVD?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just make a disk image from Disk Utility and launch it from there.

3. maroongordon thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, but I kept getting that error message about not having enough disk space... :(

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

got enough space on your boot drive? save it to an external drive?

5. kristi-lynn macrumors newbie

i don't know much about playing sims on a mac bc the last time i played it i was still using a pc, but the one thing i remember about the sims specifically is that they have a security feature that doesn't allow for ripping or copying without a specific code that is built into the disk (or something to that effect is how it was explained to me years ago).. it's possible to crack it but extremely difficult.. that's why even if you burn a copy of the disk it won't let you play the game from it. assuming they didn't change how they make their games, that's probably the reason why you can't rip it or use a virtual drive for it.

6. quipy macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure you can download the disk images online. I haven't played sims in ages, so I don't know if they've changed how the discs work or anything. But when I used to play, I downloaded the disk images and mounted them onto a virtual drive using daemon tools and yasu tools. I'm sure you can find working disk images on bittorrent...

I think I've seen some cd cracks out there, but from what I hear they are really complicated to install.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ daemon tools is for windows. you can probably find Mac no cd 'cracks' online.

8. maroongordon thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for all your suggestions!

The disc image thing doesn't work, because it still knows there isn't a DVD in the drive...

I couldn't find a no-dvd crack for the Sims online, although there are plenty for the Sims 2. But, I'm still sentimental for the old version! Oh well.

Guess I'll just have to live with the DVD till I figure something else out... any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated though! Now I just want to figure this out for the sake of solving the problem!

9. kenichiwat macrumors newbie

I believe I heard somewhere [actually my friend] that Apple does that for a reason with their games. You will need your CD because otherwise people could buy the game, install it, do the cd image thing, then re-sell the game on eBay or something. Also, Macgames are not super super popular so no one really cared to make CD cracks. :(

10. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

If you were able to create the image file, try mounting the image with Toast instead of Disk Util.

11. maroongordon thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Toast, but I don't know much about it... how would I go about doing that?

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

right click on the image file while in Finder and in the "More" menu click "Mount It" or click "Mount Disk Image" in the Utilities menu while in Toast.

13. maroongordon thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh so close! Now when I tried mounting it from Toast instead of Disc Utility I get an error message that says:

"The Sims Complete.localized:The Sims" contains a
    slash, (/), backslash (\), or period (.). Please remove the character from the appropriate Folder's name and try again.

I don't know if there's a way to remove the offending character, but I'm about to just give up anyways... blahhh. :(

14. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

just try renaming it or if you cant make another image and and remove the period character.

i just tried mounting images that have periods and slashes and it worked fine. may have something to do with me having version 9 though?

15. Sweatshoplabor macrumors newbie

THe Sims .dmg

OK guys you seem to be knowledgeable in this area so here goes. I have The Sims .dmg and I got all the way to the installation when it shut down saying "No longer supports classic environment." So I went to the Aspyr page and downloaded The_Sims_Carbon_Install(US).sit which is supposed to make it so the classic environment is no longer needed. But after downloading The_Sims_Carbon_Install(US).sit nothing happened. Am I supposed to install or mount it somehow? I am still kinda new to all this stuff so any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

17. Sweatshoplabor macrumors newbie

Thanks Rich that helped but now it is asking for the original disk... I burned a copy of the .dmg. Is that not enough? :(