Playing VHS Tapes on Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SMM, Nov 22, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I am not sure if this is the correct forum. If not please excuse me.

I would like to play some VHS tapes on my MacPro. It is configured thus:

2.33 GB Quad, 11 GB RAM, X1900, 1.75 TB Internal, 4 TB External
    ADVC-100 Analog/Digital Converter w/ FW 400 connection to MP.
    Sony DVD/VHS Combo

SW: VLC, FCS (FCP 6), QT Pro, and much more.

Problem: I cannot find a way to get any of the movie players to recognize the FW input from the ADVC as a video/audio source. They are all looking for a disk file, or a DVD. How does one solve this. I am not having any luck with the help. I can get a connection from within FCP, by setting it as a non-controllable device, and doing a batch capture. So, I am pretty certain I can read the source correctly.

Appreciate any help someone can provide.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The first thing that springs to mind is that if you are using a scart/composite cable to connect the ADVC to the VCR, there might be a switch on the end of the cable adapter to switch between input and output. Toggle this and see if that makes any difference.

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

No switch I am afraid. But, it that was the issue, I would not be able to 'batch capture' in FCP, would I? Are VLC, QT capable of playing movies from digital source like I am attempting to do? If so, what are the settings? Thanks.

4. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

5. Kankki macrumors regular

*Showoff* XD

6. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Thanks for the referral. Looking at documentation one can watch the video while 'copying', which I want to avoid. However, it may just be the way the documentation was written. I will find out. These tapes are commercially protected with macrovision (guessing). As long as it lets me view the 'source', then all should be well. I can just delete the copy. I actually own a device that installs between the VCR and the ADVC. It defeats the security. However, I really do not want to go down that path.

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

You would need something like EyeTV to view an analog source like VHS. QT and VLC won't work for what you intend.

8. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

If you have an analog-digital converter box, you could use something like Video Viewer. I've used it along with a VCR to watch TV.

9. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

To clarify the OP's question... all you want is to view the VCR feed going through the ADVC, right?

If so, Apple has a developer example app that does just what you want. It's called WhackedTV and it lets you view and (optionally) record a firewire DV stream (the type that comes from the ADVC). You can find it here. Just add the video and audio track from the window that pops up, adjust sound settings (it makes it real quiet by default), and you're good to go.

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

You could use iMovie, and rather than import it, just play it. I think you can do it in full screen, too.