Playing video files from NAS to AppleTV2 via iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Ifti, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I have a Synology DS1511+ NAS, which is set up as a DLNA/uPNP server also.

Currently I can use 'AirPlayer' on my iPhone or iPad(1) to stream DivX video straight from my NAS to the device, with no PC/Mac being on in between.

Is there any similar app that will allow me to stream video files otherwise unsupported by Apple, such as DivX etc, straight to my iPhone or iPad, and then allow me to airplay straight to an AppleTV2?

Im considering purchase an AppleTV2 to replace my PS3 (which is only ever used to stream movies, nothing more). The PS3 is currently wasted otherwise. Hence I would like to stream movies directly from my NAS through to the TV via AppleTV, without having my MacBook on inbetween.

Is this possible (without having to Jailbreak the AppleTV2 to run XBMC)?

2. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok. Apple TV2 is ordered and on it's way.

iPad has been sold.
    iPad2 is ordered and on it's way.

Hopefully my mirroring I should be able to achieve exactly what I'm after ;)

3. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

It should work (I think), but just so you know, jailbreaking the aTV is a good idea. There's an add-on called Media (or something...) that does really well with playing from my Airport Extreme or computers, even playing 720p really well. My only issue is some lipsync problems, it seems.