playing video with quick look

Discussion in 'macOS' started by delyside, Jun 9, 2011.

1. delyside macrumors newbie

When I play videos with quicklook (hitting the spacebar in Snow Leopard) sometimes they randomly restart from the beginning.
    So i'm watching a movie, and after like 10 minutes it suddenly restarts and starts playing the movie from the beginning again..

I have googled but didn't find anyone with the same problem..

Does anyone experience something similar? Any ideas?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Most likely because "Quick Look" is provided for a quick look! Why not use an Application to watch a movie? :confused:

3. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Yeah, you should probably just use an application. If you don't LIKE the default application, you can change it.

For example, I don't like that by default, .m4v files open up iTunes and then get imported into my iTunes library. That's a waste if it's something I just got in an email and want to watch once.

So I changed all my .m4v's to open with Quicktime. Select one of the movies, go to the File Menu --> Get Info

and change the "Open With" trait. If you want you can also hit "change all" and then EVERY file of that type that you open will default to whichever application you chose.

4. delyside thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it's fast and easy. If I wanna see several episodes of a series, i select them all, hit spacebar, pinch out to maximize windows, and then they play in a playlist. There are skipbuttons as well, so it is SUPPOSED to work this way.

I was just wondering if anyone experienced the same problems... I DO use VLC or Quicktime when i want to see a full movie with subs...

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As you rightly say, its quick and easy, but, as Apple say (below) it is meant to be used to preview items and not, in the case of movies, to show them in their entirety.

"Quick Look
    See stunning previews of movies, PDF files, presentations,
    spreadsheets, and more without opening an application."

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

7. rainder macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Not always, but it restarts from the beginning. It's annoying. :confused:

I prefer to watch episodes or video using Quick Look, coz i have only hit space bar to open or close. It is so simple.
    Quick Time: I have to double click (or CMD+O) then wait, then hit Space Bar to play, then CMD+Q/W to close.
    VLC: the same as quick time, except it starts playing automatically. Moreover, VLC at startup always popups additional playlist window and there is no option to disable it. :confused:

In my opinion, video watching should be so simple as it is in Quick Look.
    I hope that upgrade to Lion will fix that problem. :apple: