Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phatjoe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
IL
Hello:

I purchased the original macbook air. The fan would kick on at full blast within minutes and it would get very hot. I sold it and got a MBP. Needless to say, the MBP handles videos without any issues.

How would the newer rev C MBA play videos?
n I typically watch youtube vids and movies on the plane.

I'm looking to purchase the 1.86 GHz model. Just looking for something a little more travel friendly.

THANKS!!

f4ll

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
Hey there, you're in luck, I just happened to have bought the Rev C two days ago.

1) Heat is not really an issue with this model vs. the two previous revisions.

2) The fans do kick in, but only to 4000rpm at maximum and you hear a slight 'hum'.

3) Watching videos has not given me any problems and heat is not an issue.

I also have a macbook pro 13.3" – Since they renamed it – and comparatively speaking, the Macbook Air is equal in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Tony

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
Hey there, you're in luck, I just happened to have bought the Rev C two days ago.

1) Heat is not really an issue with this model vs. the two previous revisions.

2) The fans do kick in, but only to 4000rpm at maximum and you hear a slight 'hum'.

3) Watching videos has not given me any problems and heat is not an issue.

I also have a macbook pro 13.3" – Since they renamed it – and comparatively speaking, the Macbook Air is equal in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Hi Tony, Just curious, any lines on the Rev C MBA screen?

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
How do the screens compare Tony?

And by that, I don't mean any of this "lines" nonsense, I mean in the traditional sense about brightness, viewing angle, etc.

The first unibody Macbook (now the new MBP 13") had a screen that was not as good as even the Rev A MBA. I am wondering if they are equals now, or if the new specs on the MBP 13" have made it so that the screen is even better.

Thanks!

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
I'm looking to purchase the 1.86 GHz model. Just looking for something a little more travel friendly.

Refurbished rev B 1.86 with SSD is $50 less... and I bet it'll feel faster because of SSD. The only benefits of the new low-end would be slightly faster graphics (unconfirmed apart from Apple's claims - same model, though perhaps not underclocked this time) and a bit better battery (no reports as to real-life gains yet, according to Apple 30 minutes more). Compared to the huge gap between SSD and HDD, I say rev B is a much better deal. In fact, between rev B/SSD for $1449 and rev C/SSD for $1799, I don't really see a place for 1.86/HDD, at least as long as there're refurbs available (and even then $300 premium for high-end model looks better than previous $700).

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
I'm not looking to game on the Air, don't worry, but they can be a good indication of power.

Have you tried any games? Sims 2/3, Halo, anything?

Thanks
-_-

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
people say, slightly better in reality too
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7785798/

This is about 2.13/SSD model - we don't know how much of it comes from upgraded CPU and how much is a difference in graphics. I'm sure there is some difference, but how significant it is remains to be seen. Ideally we should compare 1.86/HDD rev C and BTO 1.86/HDD rev B, but since the latter may be harder to find, 1.86/SSD will probably have to do. Anyway the point is we need someone to benchmark their low-end rev. C, and as I said earlier, I don't expect it to be popular, so it may take time.

norsemen

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
That will likely depend on the video. If you're talking about MPEG-2 SD, probably not a problem using Quicktime or DVD Player. If you're talking about Blu-ray rips in H.264, then you'll probably get a fair amount of heat and stuttering.

Why on earth would you want to see a Blu-ray rip on a 13 inch MacBook Air?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would highly advise you buy the 2.13 GHz with SSD. If you cannot afford the extra, buy the refurbished 1.86 with SSD. The SSD helps with performance as the 4200rpm HDD is slow and may contribute to stuttering???

Also note, that iTunes system requirements to play HD video is a 2.0 GHz CPU. Therefore, the 1.86 could pose a problem. However, I did play 1.86 on my rev B with SSD and it worked.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Playing video at native resolution (in this case 1280x800) is always better on an LCD panel.

I did figure that DVD resolution is something like 640x480, thus watching Blu-ray on displays like 1680x1050 would be noticeable, but I failed to see much difference when I did. So, I doubt it makes much difference through even smaller MBA display.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
I did figure that DVD resolution is something like 640x480, thus watching Blu-ray on displays like 1680x1050 would be noticeable, but I failed to see much difference when I did. So, I doubt it makes much difference through even smaller MBA display.

Well, here's the DVD upscaled to full screen width for the MBA (1280 wide) and native 720p from a Blu-ray video downsized to 720p (1280 wide) with Handbrake. (The DVD version isn't true widescreen.) It's pretty evident there's a difference when I watch these at typical laptop viewing distances.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    655.1 KB · Views: 80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.