Playing with hair?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Parcm, May 24, 2015.

1. Parcm macrumors newbie

Parcm

Hey everyone! Kind of a weird question:

I haven't received my Apple Watch yet but I was sitting here watching a review of the activity portion of the watch and realized that I play with my hair with the same hand i'll be wearing the watch on.

Do you guys think playing with my hair will interfere with the stand or move functions of the activity app?

Maybe it'll think i'm constantly doing something with my hands to a greater extent than I actually am?

Thanks in advance to anyone who bothers to humor me and answer my silly question. :)

2. noles1983 macrumors regular

3. wanderfowl macrumors member

wanderfowl

I found the step tracking (in 1.0, haven't tested 1.0.1 yet) to be pretty resistant to false positives. I play the Hammered Dulcimer, which requires you to hit little strings with wooden hammers over and over again.

If I used Misfit on the Pebble, I'd get 3 miles credit for a 1 hour practice session. On the Apple Watch, I got no "steps" at all.

YMMV, but I don't suspect you'll have a problem.

4. erich1188 macrumors newbie

Indeed. :rolleyes:

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you're worried OP maybe stop playing with your hair all the time... non problem solved. HOWEVER it's been my experience that the tracker is pretty accurate.

No people are becoming too dependent on others to live their lives.... needing to ask any and every question that comes in their head on the internet to get the answers they seek. They rely less on independent thought and critical thinking and more on the herd mentality. It's not weird it's frightening.

6. whatos macrumors 6502a

I'd say you'll probably be just fine. Your question was certainly worth asking. It might be an issue with another manufacturer, but Apple being very skilled has most likely taken a habit like that and allowed for it.

7. rosario1990 macrumors regular

When did you ordered your Apple Watch @Parcm?

8. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

I really think it depends upon exactly how you play with your hair. Different movements will affect the watch differently. We could give a more precise answer if you exactly describe how you play with your hair. Better yet, a video of you playing with your hair would be the best way for us to help you. Apple could probably turn it into a watch commercial. This could be a money maker for you.

9. echo4sierra macrumors member

echo4sierra

Here's a serious response: No. I'm a hair player too-it helps me to think.

I've also been buried under my dogs when it's time to stand and I've tried to fake out the watch, but it knows I'm not standing. So let's make this thread weirder: anyone got tips on how to fake out the watch in thinking you're standing?

10. Thiagordc macrumors 6502

Thiagordc

Oooo thank you, this made me laugh so hard :)

11. friedmud macrumors 65816

Nah: A lot of people are waiting on their watches and are genuinely curious... so they're asking people who have watches about aspects of watch ownership.

A lot of this will die down once everyone gets theirs ;-)

12. Subdiv macrumors 6502

It's motions like this that tend to trigger false positives...

[​IMG]

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Not sure this is true at all. I think many are exhausted with the crazy threads on the Apple watch and are now deliberately trying to see who can come up with the most outlandish ones.

14. BillyTrimble macrumors 6502a

Maybe in general what you are saying is true. But please, asking how playing with one's hair will affect the watch is beyond strange. Does it really matter what anyone says? I'm sure, or at least hope, that there are no internet guides for how to play with your hair that categorize the various maneuvers and determine which ones will and will not turn on the watch.

If someone has to worry about this question, they would be crazy to get the watch. I mean there are lots of things I do with my hands that may turn on the watch. If they do, then fine. If they don't, then fine. Some of these questions could involve the use of a certain kind of paper. I guess the answer might be of value to someone, somewhere.

----------

This is so very true and what is so discouraging about the future of our society. This is the true downside and significant negative effects of the internet.

15. jjlannoo Suspended

There are a lot of women on this site I have been told. This post seems to be further proof.

16. AFDoc macrumors 68030

If that were true I'd feel a bit better but, because I deal with high volumes of people on a regular basis, I know it's not.

17. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

Unless "hair" is a metaphor in this case.

18. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lmao! Wow, when I clicked on this thread, I was expecting to see something along the lines of...my AW Link band is stuck in my arm hair, so which band would you guys recommend.

That was too funny, OP.

19. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

If that is the case, a lot of teenage boys will be meeting their daily fitness goals without even getting out of bed.

20. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

Me too, because what you describe happend to me twice yesterday (Sport band). :D

21. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

What if you masturbate with the watch on? Does that increase activity on fitness app? LOL!

22. macduke Suspended

macduke

I think it could get weirder.

And done. That certainly didn't take long.

23. FuzzyLogic13 macrumors newbie

I didn't think it tracked hair playing. Is it turned off by default?

24. bh85 macrumors regular

bh85

Haha. One of the funniest threads on Apple Watch forum. Macduke 65203 here too!

25. macduke Suspended

macduke

Not quite but close! I was confused at first because I thought you were talking about forum titles or something. Why don't we have an Apple Store yet? This whole town is filled with people who use Apple products and students and people with masters degrees or higher who have plenty of disposable income.