Playing WMV's

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ignus graius, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ignus graius macrumors regular

So with vlc4iphone we can play additional formats on the iPhone. I'd like to be able to play Windows Media files when they're emailed to me using vlc4iphone. The problem is I haven't found a way to access the email attachments from outside Mail. I discovered that downloaded attachments are located under mobile/Library/Mail as .emlxpart files, but I don't think there's a solution to parsing these files for the digital goodness inside.

I've been trying a few things. One of them is forwarding these emails to an account with webmail access that has the option of downloading attachments as zip files. Being that the Safari Download plugin supports zip files this might work. I've been having trouble with the email account and don't know any free webmail services that would offer this option.

Any ideas?

2. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

Would anyone know how to add file extensions to the list that the Safari Download Plugin can grab?

3. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

BUMP

and....

I modified the Info.plist file located in:
    System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/File Download Plugin.webplugin

No luck.

EDIT: Nevermind! Got it to work--didn't have the correct MIME label on the WMV entry (video/x-ms-wmv).

4. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Let me know, if you don't mind, how VLC does on playing WMVs. I haven't ever had much luck getting anything to play in it.... :(

5. ignus graius thread starter macrumors regular

While not flawless, it did fine playing this WMV:
    http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTZrSU5NR3N6NEtGa1E9PQ

It's a measly 320x240, though. I'd be interested to see how it handles larger files.

6. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

It sucks. Its all jumpy. Tested a 350mb file. Of course its still a work in progress, but it still sucks.