Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astelith

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
Spain/Italy
I actually tried WoW yesterday (latest patch) for the first time on my 5K iMac and was surprised the M290X could run it very smoothly in 5K resolution. I didn't expect it to run well at anything higher than 1440p, but there I was, running through Draenor in 5K without any lag or stutters, with AA turned on and settings set to high. The game almost looks weird in this resolution, to be honest. Oh, and I played the OS X version, not in bootcamp. I didn't test it in over-populated areas or raids, though, but everything I tried was really smooth.

I can only imagine what M295X can do, but the M290X is surprising me more and more every day.

Funny how you can play a game in 5K with no problems (though, admittedly, WoW is not super-demanding) and still have Mission Control lag :)

May I ask you to run WoW with the settings that I use in the video I posted above ? (5K all ultra except shadow and water to the minimum)

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
:D

When and if Apple will update the Thunderbolt Display with a 5K resolution I will consider the nMac Pro with base setting and an external Thunderbolt enclosure with a high end graphics card, it seems a good plattform for working and gaming
http://barefeats.com/mpt4k.html

Funny enough, BareFeats have made some benches for that resolution!

Its quite impressive for 4K MP.

What amazaes me is that in 4k Batman Arkham City, the iMac gets worse performance, despite similair GPU, than MP with D700.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.