Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denali9

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
yes you will be hearing them through vent but Fusion requires a lot of essources and hence unless you have a Mac Pro with more than 4 gig of ram, WOW will become unplayable due to lack of resources. Best option is to install WoW under bootcamp using XP or Vista (7 is not yet supported officially but coming soon).

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
I'd say find another guild unless its filled with real life friends and even then I'd ream their butts till they changed it.

Milfin

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
changing the codex is simple. If their not mac friendly than leave the guild. :)

kreidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
What about Parallels or something else?

I dont really want to install Windows and I really don't want to use Bootcamp. I don't play alot but when I do I need Vent, and yes some are real life friends.

They say if they change to using Speex codec it sounds like crap and it pisses off the other 99% of PC users.

gekko

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
We use ventrilo and I'm on a mac. I don't know which codec we use, but it doesn't sound like crap.

Denali9

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Actually it does not sound bad at all, most won't even notice the difference if they change codex. Ask them to try for a week.

If they don't want to, you will have to go bootcamp or you could get an old window machine with speaker and run vent on it beside your mac. Annoying i know but you do not need a lot of power and could probably get vent running on a pentium 4 machine.

Parallel and Fusion both require lots of memory and will make WoW slow if not unplayable. I know it for certain having tried to print a file on XP in Fusion, i had to force quit out of WoW. I doubt Parallel can be much better. As an FYI i tried on a MBP with a C2D 2.2 ghz processor with 4 gig of ram.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I wonder if you could get Vent to run under Crossover Games. If you can then you shouldn't have any problems with running wow alongside it.

Parallels and Fusion are just too much to enjoy WoW at the same time.

kreidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply. My other friend had a Vent server and for a 10 man raid we all joined on his and I could not hear a difference and no one said anything bad. The problem is a few Mac haters ruin it for me.

kreidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
It takes like 5 seconds to change the codec to Speex. Your guildies suck. :)

It isn't because they don't want to take the time to do it, it's that the guild in general doesn't like the sound or performance of the Speex codec.

jimmyjoemccrow

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2009
It takes like 5 seconds to change the codec to Speex. Your guildies suck. :)

Only if the hosting company supports it. And then it is still necessary to reboot, kicking all users. Not something you would do during a raid, but simple enough late at night.

Speex is not inferior to GSM, its just many servers often forget to set the right bitrate. If you set GSM to a lower bit rate it will sound crap too. Tell them that they need to set Speex to the maximum bitrate and it will give just as good quality.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Don't know of any guilds that haven't made the switch. Just go on a few raids without vent and see if they change their mind. Or better yet, have the raid leader use the WoW voice channel so everyone can hear :).

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
I am the only Mac user in the guild. When we use Speex, there are 3 people who most of us just hear as static or we hear them for a few seconds and then they drop out. When we change it back to GSM 6.10, we can hear them just fine. So instead of having everyone else suffer because I choose to play on a Mac, I run Vent in Windows.

I have tried running Vent in Parallels but there is one caveat; you cannot enable "Direct Sound" in the Vent preferences thus you cannot adjust the volume of individual users. This makes it pretty much unusable for me. I have settled on running Ventrilo on my MBP in Windows beside my iMac. I use the spacebar for Push-to-Talk. It works pretty good if not a tad inconvenient.

kreidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I am the only Mac user in the guild. When we use Speex, there are 3 people who most of us just hear as static or we hear them for a few seconds and then they drop out. When we change it back to GSM 6.10, we can hear them just fine. So instead of having everyone else suffer because I choose to play on a Mac, I run Vent in Windows.

I have tried running Vent in Parallels but there is one caveat; you cannot enable "Direct Sound" in the Vent preferences thus you cannot adjust the volume of individual users. This makes it pretty much unusable for me. I have settled on running Ventrilo on my MBP in Windows beside my iMac. I use the spacebar for Push-to-Talk. It works pretty good if not a tad inconvenient.

topgunn, can you explain acouple things?

Why is that some PC don't hear the static and some do?

So you run WoW in Bootcamp with Vent running also and you don't have any issues?

When you ran Vent in Parallels you could hear the others and WoW still played alright?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Why is that some PC don't hear the static and some do?
Honestly, I am not sure. We have 30 people that use Vent in our guild and when using Speex, it works for 27. Two of the three just recently got to the point where we couldn't hear them. One of them has had problems for much longer. The one that has problems is also a raid leader so his need to speak on Vent is greater than mine.

The Ventrilo support forum has a couple of posts linking the problem with Speex and not being able to hear someone to preferences on those users Vent client installation. They mention things like outbound amplifier settings and other outbound modifiers. I have tried working with a couple of the people that have these problems and I haven't found anything we could change that will fix it. And yes, they are running the latest versions of Vent and have tried reinstalling.

So you run WoW in Bootcamp with Vent running also and you don't have any issues?
I do not run WoW in Boot Camp. My iMac has issues in Boot Camp (eg. sound pops and hisses and the PCIe bus drops from x16 to x1) that prevent me from running WoW in Windows. What I do is run WoW on my iMac in Mac OS and run Windows on my MacBook Pro which is sitting right next to my iMac. I run Ventrilo on the MBP.

When you ran Vent in Parallels you could hear the others and WoW still played alright?
Yes, I have run WoW on the iMac while also running Parallels on the iMac while Parallels was running Vent. I didn't notice any slowdown at all. However, I do have a 3GHz iMac with 4GB of RAM. I also set Parallels to give priority to Mac applications.

There are two problems with this setup. Push-to-talk is a pain and it is impossible without a USB device that can be devoted to the Parallels session. Second, since you cannot enable "Direct Sound" in Ventrilo while running in Parallels, you cannot individually adjust the volume of different guild members. We have a couple of people in Vent that are much louder than everyone else, including the raid leader so that makes it difficult for me to use this setup. If I didn't have a laptop that I could use for Vent, however, I would be using this method.

kreidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
Honestly, I am not sure. We have 30 people that use Vent in our guild and when using Speex, it works for 27. Two of the three just recently got to the point where we couldn't hear them. One of them has had problems for much longer. The one that has problems is also a raid leader so his need to speak on Vent is greater than mine.

The Ventrilo support forum has a couple of posts linking the problem with Speex and not being able to hear someone to preferences on those users Vent client installation. They mention things like outbound amplifier settings and other outbound modifiers. I have tried working with a couple of the people that have these problems and I haven't found anything we could change that will fix it. And yes, they are running the latest versions of Vent and have tried reinstalling.

I do not run WoW in Boot Camp. My iMac has issues in Boot Camp (eg. sound pops and hisses and the PCIe bus drops from x16 to x1) that prevent me from running WoW in Windows. What I do is run WoW on my iMac in Mac OS and run Windows on my MacBook Pro which is sitting right next to my iMac. I run Ventrilo on the MBP.

Yes, I have run WoW on the iMac while also running Parallels on the iMac while Parallels was running Vent. I didn't notice any slowdown at all. However, I do have a 3GHz iMac with 4GB of RAM. I also set Parallels to give priority to Mac applications.

There are two problems with this setup. Push-to-talk is a pain and it is impossible without a USB device that can be devoted to the Parallels session. Second, since you cannot enable "Direct Sound" in Ventrilo while running in Parallels, you cannot individually adjust the volume of different guild members. We have a couple of people in Vent that are much louder than everyone else, including the raid leader so that makes it difficult for me to use this setup. If I didn't have a laptop that I could use for Vent, however, I would be using this method.

Thanks for the replies. I might try doing it the Parallels method since I never really speak anyways.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
When my guild started using Ventrilo I could not connect either because the server wasn't using the speex codec. I discussed this back and forth with the Vent server admin and quoted no less than five tech forum thread stating the speex codex is needed by Macs and the Windows users will not even notice the switch because Vent clients automatically choose the codec the server is using.

After we had the same conversation multiple times the admin checked into it and found the info I did, imagine that! The codec was changed to speex and viola! It works fine.

Sorry for veering of a bit. As for the post that mentioned the few window's users having issues and should get the latest version, when my guild started using Vent everyone downloaded Vent and, after speex was used, everyone could use it. The only changes after that were some users needed to adjust their input/output levels slightly which is to be expected.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
All the major guilds on my server are using Speex, and there is no downsides to it.
People having trouble with Speex codec are just people that really need to learn configure their soundcards or vt.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
All the major guilds on my server are using Speex, and there is no downsides to it.
People having trouble with Speex codec are just people that really need to learn configure their soundcards or vt.
x2, Speex is the standard. People need to get with the times.

nored02

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Nebraska
Another thing to try.

If you really don't want to switch guilds or run WoW in Windows; I would suggest using crossover. I had good luck using it with my old guild when they wouldn't change their codec. The only problem with this program is that you cannot speak to those on vent unless you click on the vent window. good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.