Playing Xbox 360 on iMac Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wi8, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Wi8 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to figure out how to use my iMac as a monitor to play my 360 on. I think it has to do something with DVI cables, but I don't know how to do it or how it works. To the best of your knowledge, how do I set up an xbox to play on my monitor with DVI cables and whatever else I need?

2. Wi8 thread starter macrumors newbie

But can I do it another way?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

You could use a usb-based video capture device but the results aren't pretty, particularly for gaming.

4. Wi8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like a hauppage or something? I know it lags if you try to do it that way, but I saw something called EyeTv Hybrid that gets rid of it. I don't know if that is very reliable though. Would Playing from and xbox to a camera through a firewire work? or does that lag as well?

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

There is some lag and you would be limited to standard def resolutions. Not worth the money spent on the devices. You are better off picking up a monitor that you can use for both gaming and a second monitor for the iMac.

6. Wi8 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get a hauppage cheap or try something else

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you do end up going the tuner route, make sure that it's compatible with your 360. I have an EyeTV Hybrid and it works with my PS2 but not my 360.