Playing Xbox on rMBP?

yoshi43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a USB tv tuner that has no lag/delay for playing games. I'm going to be outside the country for a couple of months and will not have access to a tv, nor would it make sense to buy a tv there without being able to bring it back. I used to have an EyeTV 250 and that worked, but I sold it a few years back and was wondering if there was anything cheaper than that? I have bootcamp installed so it can be either Mac or PC compatible. Also, I have absolutely no problem if it is in SD instead of HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

yoshi43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for the response. I've been looking into all of elgato's stuff. If I were to get one of their products it would be the hd 250 or hybrid since they have "game mode" and the ability to turn off time shifting respectively.
I was wondering more about the cheeper tv tuners like the Diamond TVW750USB ATI Theater HD 750 USB TV Tuner, but I can't find any website that talks about the lag for those products

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Don't bother... quality will be rubbish and there will be significant lag. Get a cheap external monitor - with the right cables / adapters the Xbox will work perfectly via VGA, HDMI or DVI.

joedemax

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
+1

Forget about trying this. The latency will be way high (4 frames at least). Just buy a computer monitor and use that.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I would either buy a TV locally, or play games on Windows using an XBox controller. The cost for either would be comparable to buying a USB tuner, and the results would be better.