Playlist creations

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thwrightstuff, Dec 16, 2007.

1. thwrightstuff macrumors newbie

I know about the on the go playlists on the ipod, but is there a hack or any way to create and customize your own playlists on the ipod touch? I mean, with the advanced interface you;d think you could create your own. Is there anyway this may be possible? Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

I, too, yearn for this feature. I'm surprised no one has created a workaround/hack for this especially for an iPod with a full keyboard and touch features.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

As much as I hate to say it, Apple had to save something for the new version to make everyone want to upgrade.

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You mean new firmware, or a new iPod? It would be pretty weasly to introduce this only on a new iPod Touch, considering this feature would take 1 programmer about 15 minutes to implement.

The other thing that is really needed is lyrics, which has been on every iPod for awhile...

5. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

... and with the nifty keyboard, I'm sure we all want search too. :rolleyes:

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

They did it with the 5G/5.5G iPod... I'm looking at you search feature!

7. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

so, any programmers out there willing to take on this little project?

8. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

There's a search feature for contacts and calendars via installer, so songs couldn't be that hard...Just an option to rename OTG playlists rather then OTG1 etc would be nice

9. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

That would be great and i feel the technology is completely feasible. I dont see how hard it would be to write software to add a song to an existing playlist either (although i have no programming skill whatsoever so i could be completely wrong).

10. thwrightstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

well here is what i had in mind for how it cold work. i am not a programmer so i would have n idea how to go about making this work but this is what i was thinking: use the same feature to add the song to the playlist, hold down on the song, but instead, have a list come up and ask you which playlist to send it to. Also, in the playlist menu, put a plus button at the bottom and then have a dialogue screen come up asking you to name the playlist. That's it. then when you select a song you can select that playlist. Another cool thing to ad would be to be able to drag the songs around in the playlist, but that is no big deal. How hard would that be for a programmer to make that work with installer?

11. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Yeah man i completely agree. That's how I picture it working too. Thinking about it, it seems like it should be simple enough. But like you said, we arent programmers.

12. thwrightstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

there has got to be someone on this forum that knows someone who is a programmer. i mean, im an engineer and have a few programmer friends but i dont think they can do this kind of programming. who created summerboard and ijailbreak? i know they definately have the brains to do it.

13. ecume macrumors newbie

not as easy as it seems...

the problem with anything involving the iTunes portion of the iPod/phone is that Apple has this wacky proprietary database that handles all the media metadata. You can confirm this by looking at the files in your music library (using finder.app or DropCopy.app) and you'll notice random filenames like APQ.mp3. There is indeed an API that lets you query the database and return proper filenames AND paths to the associated file, but no API that I've discovered to create new database entries. That's not to say that it doesn't exist - it just isn't as straightforward as searching for contacts and calendar events...

14. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Interesting, thanks for the insightful response. I'm still hoping tho...