Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I've perused the various threads and can't find an answer to this specific question, so I apologize if it's been asked and answered already...

My wife and I have ripped all our CDs to one iTunes library that we've put on a dedicated Mac for sharing to our two home offices. The sharing is working no problem but it appears that neither of us can add any of the shared songs to a playlist.

In understand why iTunes no longer shares outside a network. I understand why one can't copy songs from a shared library. But not being able to include shared songs in a playlist seems an amazingly absurd restriction.

Am I missing something?

vieoray

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
you can't add shared music to a playlist of your own. what you could do is create a playlist on the host computer, add the songs you want, then access the playlist from your other computers.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2004
I'll try that as a workaround. Thanks for the suggestion. Am I the only one that thinks that the inability to create playlists containing shared music seem like a useless and annoying feature?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Moof1904 said:
I'll try that as a workaround. Thanks for the suggestion. Am I the only one that thinks that the inability to create playlists containing shared music seem like a useless and annoying feature?

i think the problem comes from that the host machine is the one that has the XML file which contains the playlist info and what not, so there is no way for your machine to write to that file or modify it because the music is only being streamed to you

Borjan

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2004
Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

I'm using an old laptop upstairs to access my music from the main computer downstairs, and given the amount of music I have, I'd much rather sit in the comfort of my bed and make the playlists than sit downstairs and do it. Plus, I might want to make some changes to the playlist every so often, and its might be a bit of a hassle when everyone uses the main computer downstairs...

If there's no other alternative however, I guess I'll have to get off my backside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.