Playlist Order Problem in iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harry20larry, Sep 7, 2011.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

So this problem started when I updated to beta 6, all my playlist essentially were back to front.
    When I updated to beta 7 my iPad (which syncs the same music as my iPhone) sorted itself out, yet my iPhone still shows all the songs in my playlists in a random order.
    Has anyone else problem/knows a fix.

PS I know its a beta, please don't remind me

2. YN36 macrumors member

i have the same problem but it's only with the smart playlist though. To be more specifically just the ''my favorites'' list. :/

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Either of you checked the developer forums at devforums.apple.com?

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have the same problem on my iPhone but not my iPad, fwiw.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I've had this problem for a while and I'm on 4.2.1

6. ketan macrumors newbie

Same problem

all the songs in my playlist arranged themselves randomly after i installed iOS 5.

7. jackaz127 macrumors newbie

same here! :( I have a smart playlist I particularly care about - recently added - and it now makes no sense since it starts with the oldest files.
    if I start playing the last added song after it finishes the playlist stops.

any workaround or suggestion?

8. NicP macrumors 6502

Exactly the same problem here, recently added is in the reverse order!

I tried changing the order in iTunes so it is in the reverse order in iTunes. It still stays the same on my iPhone!

9. akacaj macrumors regular

akacaj

I have this problem too and I filed a bug report with apple. Playlist order is supposed to be the same as what you sort by in iTunes. If you browse your iPhone in iTunes and select the playlist in question you will see that the playlist is sorted correctly. That means on the device it is stored properly but it is displayed incorrectly.

10. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Happening to me too. I just noticed that today, after syncing my new 4S. I only have two playlists and they're reversed. In iTunes, I sort from newest to oldest. In my iPod Music app, the oldest songs are at the top now. So annoying!

12. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

THIS IS MY BIGGEST ISSUE!! I only ever use the recently added playlist and it is pointless if when you select the most recent song the playlist ends right after!

Any suggestions

13. PonstaMonsta macrumors newbie

Uuugghhh!

I'm having the same issue. Hoping the next update will correct it. Anyone hear anything from the apple forums?

14. billynumo macrumors newbie

Create new playlist. While in itunes, copy old playlist into new playlist. Order will be correct. You can then delete old playlist and rename new one.

Worked for me.

15. tlginter, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

tlginter macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS 5.0.1

I have the same problem. My playlists aren't backwards, they are completely mixed up. All of them, not just the smart playlists. I even tried creating new smart playlists and re-syncing to see if the new list would be in the right order. Nope. I have mine sorted by rating so my favorites play first. The playlist on my iphone is in no apparent order.

16. jeremyf0923 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Out of order - everything is backwards and sometimes they show up mixed. And then other times, they show up in order, but when i click to play a song, it actually plays a different song at the end of the playlist. It is completely f'd up. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet by Apple - it has been this way since iOS 5 was released. Does anyone know if they are working on a fix??

17. tlginter macrumors newbie

playlist out of order

All of my playlists are sorted by rating. When I tried sorting a playlist by album, it synced correctly. Maybe it's a hiccup in the ratings???? Doesn't really help since I want it all to go back to working correctly. But maybe this will help someone find the problem.

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

No it can't be the rating because I don't have any of my songs rated yet in playlists the songs are listed in reverse

19. captainjman2 macrumors newbie

Fix

The fix for this problem is simple. Just duplicate the playlist and delete the old one.

Cheers

20. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Has the new 5.1 beta fixed this? Beta 3 was just released.

21. Wekesalocs macrumors newbie

The Ultimate Cure for Smart Playlists

I got this answer from http://cnx.com/?p=1612

It works perfectly for me

:cool:

This is actually an old bug that keeps coming up every year or so at random, whenever Apple makes major changes. I don’t know why they don’t test this immediately before a release, and make a permanent note of what fixed it last time. Essentially, if you have a smart playlist that you reorganize in iTunes, your device won’t get your updated play order; it will re-sort the playlist the way it thinks it should be.

Credit for this one goes to TechGeekBlogger at the Apple discussion boards. I just include it here because odds are if you’re pissed off about the first bug you’re annoyed by the second as well.

There’s an interesting workaround that TechGeekBlogger discovered: a smart playlist on an iOS device will sort things the way it wants but a smart list composed of other smart playlists will work fine. I noticed this when I checked to see that my “smart shuffle” playlist (which accesses playlists for different star ratings with rules for each one) would let me re-sort it but my podcast playlist wouldn’t.

Essentially here’s a workaround Create a new smart playlist with the following rules (and only the following rules):
    • Playlist is (your old playlist)
    • Limit to (however many) items (ordered as you like)

Then sync the new playlist to your iOS device. This new one should be able to be re-sorted in iTunes and have its new order updated on the device as well.

Hope this prevents some of you from pulling your hair out like I’ve been doing.

22. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I just tried this and it didn't work. My recently added smart playlist and the new one which I created like you said both start from oldest to newest.

23. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I have an issue with my smart playlist not sorting properly on the iPhone also and it's driving me nuts.

I've been using the exact same smart playlist criteria for years, which is all music greater than 0 stars and sorted by date added (newest to oldest). But on the iPhone it sorts oldest added to newest. I've tried creating a brand new playlist with the same criteria and a new one referencing the previous playlist without resolution.

I used this same smart playlist back in the day on an iPod Touch that had this issue that was eventually fixed with software update so how did it get broken again in a newer device???

Come on Apple, this seems like such as easy thing. :mad: IMHO this is inexcusable for such a detail oriented company, especially when it's a regression of a previously fixed issue.

24. JonnyLegal macrumors newbie

YES! I can't believe I didn't try this earlier. This problem has been bugging me for months! Anyway, if anyone is having trouble with their smart playlist order since updating iTunes or to iOS 5, simply right click the playlist in iTunes, DUPLICATE, delete the old one, and make sure the new one is checked to sync. Voila, magically fixed!

Kudos to billynumo and captainjman.