Playlist removed but capacity didn't increase?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Simple Living, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

What am I doing wrong? I removed a large playlist from my iPod Touch to add another one but the capacity remained the same. My iPod is still full. How do you actually remove the music from the iPod itself and not just from iTunes Device?

I have to admit, I don't understand syncing. It seems too complicated. It wants to automatically sync everything, even when I choose to do it manually. When I choose to do it manually, it tells me that it's already synced to one library and can't be synced to another. I'm not trying to sync it to another.

I'm not really asking to learn about syncing here. I just want to be able to delete a playlist and have the space to add new music. This is making me feel really stupid.

2. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

A "playlist" is just a bunch of pointers to songs on your iPod. If you want to increase capacity, you need to remove songs.

A song can be in 10 different playlists, but the song is only on the iPod once.

3. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding. The way I've been doing this is by creating a Playlist in iTunes and then dragging it into my iPod Touch. It added the music automatically. Now, I deleted the playlist but the capacity didn't increase. I checked the Music tab and none of that playlist's music is there. Where would it have stored it on the iPod so I can it?

Edited to add: I found it, YMark. What I was trying to remove were actually Podcasts. I thought that making a playlist of a podcast stored them there but it stores them in the podcast area. As simple as that sounds, I somehow made it more difficult than it was. Thank you again for your help!

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Think of the playlist as a sheet of paper where you write songs you like and want to hear, while the songs are the discs themselves. A CD takes much more space than a sheet of paper.

5. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

If you want to be able to delete the songs of a playlist from both the playlist and the library, hold option and apple and delete when the song(s) is highlighted. When it asks if you want to delete to trash say yes.

6. v2allen macrumors regular

v2allen

Delete

I'd delete songs not playlists, songs are what takes up the space