playstation 2 question...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by bobbyboulders, Oct 26, 2007.

1. bobbyboulders macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hey guys, totally non-mac related question. But i just bought a game (hitman blood money). Now, when i pop the game into the ps2 and start the game i see that i can't view any of the in-game movies!!! well actually, i can see the first few seconds of the movie, but then it will go straight to the gameplay portion. If i keep quiting and going back, i will be able to view alittle bit more of the movie, but never the whole movie.

Do you guys know how i can fix this?? i was going to open up my ps2 and clean the laser, until one of my friends told me about this Laser Lens Cleaning CD. I think im going to just buy that and see if it works. But if you guys have anyother suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!! Because, whats the point of playing a game, without knowing anything about the story????

Thanks fellow Mac'ers

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It could be the laser and I'm not sure about using one of those CD lens cleaner but have you tried any other game CD in there.....just making sure its the lens...could be the disc.

Bless

3. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hmm i actually havent tried anyother games (i'll try em, when i get home from work tonight). But then again the cd doesnt have any real scratches on it.....I did buy it used though....

I wanna say its the laser, because i actually haven't played a game on it for a loooooong time. And its just been sitting in my room gathering dust....

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hold it up to a bright light. Any small holes in it?

5. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hmmm interesting...i highly doubt it, but will have look for smalls holes when i get home.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The PS2 was notorious for faulty lasers, could it be that? Luckily they're cheap to replace if it is that.

How do other games run? Ideally games with streaming data like cutscenes or lots of audio content.

7. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

Well, i checked some other games i had, and they seem to run fine. I just tried Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence, and it ran perfectly fine (that game has alot of video and audio and the first movie ran just fine).

So do you guys think its my Hitman game itself? i hate saying that because the cd looks absolutely fine, no scratches no holes....but i guess thats the only other option i have left (since i've ruled out the ps2 itself...right?).

8. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

hey,

just an update on this... i figured the problem was with my hitman cd, so i was in the process of returning the game (just haven't been home, so didnt really get around to it.)

But last night i got bored and picked up Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. Now when i pop that game into the ps2, the movies are cutting out as well!!!....so i guess its safe to say the problem lies with my ps2??

I think tonight, when i get home, im going to open it up and clean out the laser.....What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Take it in steps.

Firstly get one of the lens cleaning discs, if that doesn't work try opening it and doing a proper clean. If that doesn't work... Time to get a replacement laser! But they're cheap now so it won't cost you too much.

10. bobbyboulders thread starter macrumors regular

bobbyboulders

alright, i think ill try that. thanks for the response.