Playstation 3 on leopard

paraagent290

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
I have a Question: I've noticed on my PS3 settings that it says "install other OS" well im thinking of buying leopard (new mac OS),from what i learned there is a feature called boot camp and as i've seen what it does and thinking about installing leopard, will i still have my PS3 Operating system? or no....

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
to back up what psycho said, Mac opperating systems (well the non hacked version) can only be installed on APPLE hardware

now it might be possible to install OSX-86 on the PS3 but i didnt suggest that...;)

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
to back up what psycho said, Mac opperating systems (well the non hacked version) can only be installed on APPLE hardware

now it might be possible to install OSX-86 on the PS3 but i didnt suggest that...;)
The PS3 is not based on x86 hardware, it has a Cell processor, so that would not be possible. Anyway, Leopard's minimum RAM is 512MB, and the PS3 doesn't have that...

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
The PS3 is not based on x86 hardware, it has a Cell processor, so that would not be possible. Anyway, Leopard's minimum RAM is 512MB, and the PS3 doesn't have that...
osx-86 is just a linux bootloader, i know you said "Some versions of linux" i didnt know if darwin qualified as part of the "some"

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You could probably figure out how to install Darwin, but not OSX.

I'm curious about the XBox 360, which is (I think) PPC based...

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
from what i learned there is a feature called boot camp and as i've seen what it does and thinking about installing leopard, will i still have my PS3 Operating system
Boot Camp is just a wizard and a bunch of drivers to enable you to install Windows XP or Vista on Intel Apple Macs. Nothing else.

You can't do it the other way around and install OS X on a PC (at least not without a lot of hacking, which is nothing to do with Boot Camp).

And installing it on games console is a mammoth and pretty pointless task.

The XBox isn't PPC based, by the way.

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Boot Camp is just a wizard and a bunch of drivers to enable you to install Windows XP or Vista on Intel Apple Macs. Nothing else.

You can't do it the other way around and install OS X on a PC (at least not without a lot of hacking, which is nothing to do with Boot Camp).

And installing it on games console is a mammoth and pretty pointless task.

The XBox isn't PPC based, by the way.
The X-Box 360 IS PPC based by the way PowerMac G5's were used to make software for the thing.