PlayStation 3 - Optical Audio Cuts Out Periodically (Fifa 12)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kolax, Oct 20, 2011.

1. kolax macrumors G3

So I hooked up my PS3 to my home cinema system via optical. I've enabled DTS, Dolby Digital and the other standard audio outs, which my receiver is compatible with.

Problem is, the audio keeps cutting out every now and then for a few seconds, sometimes a minute. When the audio is coming out, everything sounds fine. It'll be fine for a few minutes, then it'll cut out for a second. The receiver shows that the audio input has been interrupted (i.e. if it was a DTS signal, and cuts out, the receiver will revert back to standard until the audio signal cuts back in again).

It isn't my receiver, as I use the exact same optical cable for watching Sky TV (just unplug it from the PS3 and put it into my Sky box), and the audio is fine, no glitches at all.

The PS3 is new, and just opened today. The only game I have is Fifa 12, so can't test out other games. I've had a google, and can't find anyone else with this exact problem, nor a solution.

Anyone any ideas? I've posted this over at the PlayStation forums too.

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

This is a problem with both the optical and HDMI audio on the PS3, as a small handful of games do this. I don't know if FIFA '12 is one of those games, so you might want to test it with a blu ray or digital movie file to see if it's the system. If it is the game and not the system, then there's not much you can do about it.