Playstation game ripper for mac

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by AndrewVenner, Jan 16, 2008.

1. AndrewVenner macrumors member

Does anyone know where I cant get a playstation game ripper for mac?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A Playstation what? There have been 4 systems starting with the word Playstation.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

4. AndrewVenner thread starter macrumors member

Playstation one. Sorry.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

That sir would be illegal, it would be cheaper for you to just rent the game or buy it off of ebay than to risk a lawsuit.

Although the likelyhood of being caught would be low it is illegal to copy any game. Developers and other talented people worked many hours/days/months/years in order to make that software. Just as you deserve proper compensation for your job, the development and other production staff deserves theirs.

Ed

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

He said he wants to rip them to his computer, not play them on his computer. That's legal, is it not?
    Making a backup copy doesn't seem to nefarious to me. Or maybe... Maybe I'm Tinkerbell!

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Negative Tinkerbell, you have no legal right to make a backup copy of any game software. It's illegal to make a copy of game software, whether for backup or to rip it for whatever reason.

Plain and simple, its illegal. Furthermore it hurts the gaming community in a whole as it is supported by the sales of software more than anything.

Ed

8. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

According to theesa.com it is legal.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

AFAIK, there is a clause that states it is legal to make a backup copy on the conditions that you cannot transfer the backup (or original) to someone else.

The DMCA states that it is illegal to break copy protection/encryption/DRM. A lot of times backing up a game involves breaking said DRM.

However, I do not believe Playstation 1 games had any kind of copy protection- thus, I'm fairly certain it is legal to back them up, once again assuming you own the game, it remains in your posession, and the game and backup are not given to anyone else but you. And only one backup.

It's 100% illegal to distribute a copy of game (even giving it to a friend), or make money off of it, or rip a game with any kind of anti-piracy protection on it (anything from the PS2 up I think...).

EDIT: Lancestraz beat me to it, with quotes to boot!

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You need to understand something here. You do NOT own the software, you own a license to play that software on whatever format that it was made for. If you owned the software you are more than right that you can make a copy, however you do not own the software contained on a game disc, the publisher and developer does.

If you read inside of every game manual is specifically states that you cannot make any copies of the software for any purposes including backups. They can do this because they own the software, not you.

The key to all of this is that you are buying a License to play the the game, you are not buying the software. That license grants you the right to play the game, thats it.

So yes Tinkerbell, it is illegal to make a copy for any reason of software that you do not own the rights to.

Ed

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hmmm, upon further research;

When you purchase a game, you purchase the license to play it; you don't actually purchase the content, obviously, the copyright owner has it.

The terms of service in most manuals will specifically state that you are not allowed to copy the game. Since you're only purchasing a license, you are bound by that agreement- the copyright law allowing for the backup is irrelevant. At least, that's how the argument would go.

While I question whether or not it would hold up in a court of law...it sounds like from a legal standpoint, you can't back up.

EDIT:

WHY DO I ALWAYS POST A SECOND AFTER SOMEONE ELSE?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Mr. Nintendo also says it's illegal to backup games, even going so far as to say backup devices are illegal. Although I'm certain that in the old UK NES manuals it says you're allowed to backup your own software - I'll have to get reading.

*From the Nintendo US legal page*

13. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Tinkerbell will be right back after he goes to the Home Depot and picks up an incinerator.

14. AndrewVenner thread starter macrumors member

Well, back to the original question, is there a program for mac that can do this? Because I know you can on a pc with alcohol 52% etc. but is there anything for mac? I'm not looking at giving ROMs away, I just want to play Final Fantasy VII on my ipod touch. I have the game, not pirated, just want to make a copy for my ipod, then delete it.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I suggest re-reading the first few posts in this thread.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Anyone remember Connectix Game Station the Mac OS 8/9 s/w that let you play PS games on the Mac? I believe Sony sued and had it removed from the market, but I still have my copy somewhere.