Playstation Now

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by boy-better-know, Jan 8, 2014.

1. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

Seems like a great idea, just a shame that my internet connection here in rural England would implode if I tried to use it. I swear my local exchange is powered by steam.

However, it does seem like playstation are offering us a glimpse of the future here. A future where we don't need a physical box to play the latest games on our TV (makes me a bit sad as I like new hardware).

Depending on my future internet connection, I would sign up for this in a heartbeat. What games do you hope to see?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Isn't this what that OnLive tried to do? Either way, it'll never work on my piss poor connection. One of the disadvantages of living in the middle of the countryside I guess.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do too (Peak District) but we have a BT Infinity connection, it's pretty fast!

As for the service, not too happy about it tbh! I was really hoping that they'd use this to pump PSN games we already bought (PS1, PS2, PS3, Minis) onto PS4 without needing an additional fee, taking it from our PS+ subscriptions.

I keep forgetting that console downloads have a life-span of the life of that system. It's pushing me more and more towards only getting PC games.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks ok, but too many unanswered questions.

1) will users who own digital versions of PS3 games have automatic access to these without availing of the subscription

2) price of the subscription

3) availability 'world wide'. It's nice Sony see North America as important (going up against Xbox) but why de-prioritise markets that are actually bigger (european market) and leave those other markets in limbo ?

If europeans are waiting 12-18 months before they see the service, will anyone at that point actually care ?

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Damn I can only dream of having such a connection. Since BT refuse to even put cable in our area, the chances of fiber are pretty much nil. I'll be relying on the telephone exchange until I move elsewhere. Or at least until Gordon Brown's promise of super-fast broadband is fulfilled, if it ever is.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Move to Ireland ........ nuff said :D

This is just doing a google search at time....

[​IMG]

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I would buy a PS4 just for this alone - (if it works as advertised). Nintendo will always be my main console that I buy games for, but I'd love Sony to be my subscription box with free streaming games and the PS Plus freebies - great strategy for Sony.

8. boy-better-know, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

boy-better-know thread starter macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I am hoping that Sony allow us to re-download all the games that we have bought on our PSN accounts at some point. It is really inexcusable to carry on not allowing us to.

Especially considering that they have really been on the ball recently.

It really depends on your local council as best I can tell. Here in Staffordshire it really has not been a priority. For example, there is only one exchange that allows super fast in Stoke city, so I have no chance.

They really are useless and it winds me up no end. May as well have dial up in the evenings.

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Apple let me download my Apps from my original 1st gen iPhone onto my new (at the time) iPad 2.

But Apps are kinda cheap compared to games.

Sony would pull way ahead of the pack if they allow you to play all previously purchased games on PS Now, wether that would be a download or putting the physical disc in the unit.

PS Vita TV with an external DVD Drive anyone? :eek:

10. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

My understanding that this is all streaming and no download ability is present. My other understanding is that this is a subscription service so you'd hypothetically have access to EVERYTHING. Those that don't subscribe can rent single games.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Would be nice, though, if those of us with original physical copies of older games can just insert a game into a console and be able to stream it for a basic subscription fee...

12. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yep, but your game purchase did not pay for the acquisition of Gaikai or the infrastructure to run this service, so that's highly unlikely.

It's a good first step, but I really wonder how successful it'll be limiting it to the PS3/4 and Sony TVs to start. I guess they're banking on the Sony diehards to fund the initial rush until they can expand the service to other platforms to people like me who neither own a PS3/4 or Sony TV.

I would use this service in a heartbeat - if I could use it on the device I want (PC, other HD TV).

13. JamonBull, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014

JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

I want this just so I can hopefully play The Last of Us. Never got a chance to play it on PS3 and have now bought a PS4. Only heard great things.

14. jedolley macrumors 68000

There are still a lot of questions regarding this service, but a few things are pretty safe to assume based on the service and what has already been said.

* Like someone mentioned earlier this is a streaming service... PlayStation Now does not change that the PS4 hardware is on a whole new architecture and is not backwards compatible. All the game processing will be done on Sony's servers and the results streamed back to your PS4. The idea of "downloading" previous PSN purchases would only be relevant if the PS4 itself could play those games, but it can't and PlayStation Now does not change that.

* The subscription info is still mostly unknown, but from what little has been said, there will be a some sort of subscription option and a rental option.

The most important thing to clarify is that PlayStation Now is NOT the answer for backwards compatibility. It's a service that will provide PS4 owners access to some games they no longer have access to (unless they still own a PS3), but more importantly it gives them another feature that their competitor does not have. Also, it's a first step for Sony in preparing for the unknown future of console gaming.