Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sony today announced that its PlayStation Vue app for the Apple TV has been updated with multi-view support, allowing users to watch up to four live channels on one screen.

The new PlayStation Vue feature for Apple TV comes just ahead of the NCAA March Madness season, with the goal of letting sports fans keep an eye on all of the ongoing games or mix and match live games with news or other TV programs.

playstationvue-800x450.jpg

Multi-view has long been available on the PlayStation 4, but prior to today it wasn't an option on the Apple TV platform.

PlayStation Vue is Sony's streaming TV service, offering live and on-demand content at prices starting at $44.99 per month. Sports packages start at $49.99 per month.

PlayStation Vue works on PlayStation consoles, the Apple TV, iOS devices through the PS Vue app, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Android mobile devices, PC, and Mac.

Article Link: PlayStation Vue for Apple TV Gains Multi-View Support for Watching Up to Four Live Shows at Once

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have never been able to multitask like this when watching something. I don't know how people do it! I have a hard enough time being distracted by my phone.

Reactions: Baumi and 69Mustang

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Yes! I already loved my PS Vue subscription, this makes it so much better... can’t wait for football season when I can watch the redzone channel, and a game at the same time.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes! I already loved my PS Vue subscription, this makes it so much better... can’t wait for football season when I can watch the redzone channel, and a game at the same time.
I have DirecTV and have been considering a switch to PS Vue when my DTV discounts end. If you don't mind, could you comment on the PS Vue picture quality? How is compared to say a HD iTunes streaming movie?

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I have DirecTV and have been considering a switch to PS Vue when my DTV discounts end. If you don't mind, could you comment on the PS Vue picture quality? How is compared to say a HD iTunes streaming movie?
I think live TV runs at 720p. I’m ok with that. It’s more reliable and doesn’t burn through my data as fast. I think some on-demand content may be 1080p and Dolby surround, but not live TV. Overall, I think Vue is the best option for Apple TV users. It supports the TV App and single sign on, which other have just recently added. I ditched DTVN in the fall and have been very satisfied.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Not sure what the exact resolution is but the picture quality looks great to me. I have 200 MBPS speeds on my home wi-fi. Most importantly though I never get any interruptions, lagging, or distorted picture. The service is really realiable.... Then the other little things, free DVR, you can watch live tv on 5 devices at once, part of apple single sign-on, part of apple tv app, you can have several different profiles for different viewers, you can move your favorite channels to the front of the tv guide, user interface is really good and easy to use.

Reactions: Weaselboy

pwygant

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Dallas
After running through most of the “cut the cord” TV options, I also ended up with PS Vue. Mainly because of most local channels using the medium option for local sports.

If I was to knit pick, the resolution for “fast sports” sometimes glitches when watching soccer for example. (Maybe originally sending in 50p) - Also, I find the DVR sometimes is trying to catch up and lags out a few seconds.

I wish they would end their beef with Fubo or beIn sports so I can watch la liga.

Audio is “stereo”.

I also have 200/200 so speed is not an option.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
$45-50 is a lot for streaming service. Honestly with “double and triple play services” with cable/verizon/att fiber. I really do not get much savings trying to switch to directv now, YouTube tv or PlayStation.

My breakdown (after taxes) for satellite directv with 180 channels? 200 channels choice (grandfathered) is $62 With 3 receivers. Includes hbo. Plus att fiber 1gbs fastest connection ($50) plus $13 for att home phone. We are talking $126 for all 3.

If I were to “unbundle” the service

YouTube tv ($40) or PlayStation vue ($45). My att giga (960 mpbs up/down) jumps to $80 plus $13 for phone.

Just do the math. $80 plus $40/45 plus $13. That’s $133. Making streaming services more expensive than traditional services.

And no. I’m not under contract with satellite. Just call them up every 12 months and they will always give u a discount. Always. If directv/att pisses me off. I have spectrum tripe play bundle/400 mpbs internet available for $142/month that includes Cinemax/showtime/hbo.

So it will be extremely hard to justify switching to streaming tv services. Cause the providers jack up the prices on stand a lone internet. That’s the key. The internet prices.

No where else can anyone offer me $50 att fiber 1gbs stand a Lone. It has to be bundle.

pwygant

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Dallas
$45-50 is a lot for streaming service. Honestly with “double and triple play services” with cable/verizon/att fiber. I really do not get much savings trying to switch to directv now, YouTube tv or PlayStation.

My breakdown (after taxes) for satellite directv with 180 channels? 200 channels choice (grandfathered) is $62 With 3 receivers. Includes hbo. Plus att fiber 1gbs fastest connection ($50) plus $13 for att home phone. We are talking $126 for all 3.

If I were to “unbundle” the service

YouTube tv ($40) or PlayStation vue ($45). My att giga (960 mpbs up/down) jumps to $80 plus $13 for phone.

Just do the math. $80 plus $40/45 plus $13. That’s $133. Making streaming services more expensive than traditional services.

And no. I’m not under contract with satellite. Just call them up every 12 months and they will always give u a discount. Always. If directv/att pisses me off. I have spectrum tripe play bundle/400 mpbs internet available for $142/month that includes Cinemax/showtime/hbo.

So it will be extremely hard to justify switching to streaming tv services. Cause the providers jack up the prices on stand a lone internet. That’s the key. The internet prices.

No where else can anyone offer me $50 att fiber 1gbs stand a Lone. It has to be bundle.

I was in your boat before, calling every 12 months to get the new deal before promotional pricing ended, staying on the phone for an hour "threatening" to leave etc. However, Frontier FIOS finally put a stop to this in Texas and don't offer long term customers this option anymore. Essentially, I decided to bump to 200/200 for around $90 and added the PS Vue service at around $50 for a total of $140, taxes included. Nobody really needs a landline anymore so no need for me plus the DVRs for Frontier were extremely slow and lagging so I consider it an upgrade.

For $126 bucks, I would stay with your bundle as well!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I had PS Vue for awhile before I (reluctantly) switched to DTV Now. I thought picture quality was a tad better on Vue than DTV Now. YMMV.

I think Vue is the best and most stable streaming service (and I have tried most of them). Although I'm switching to YouTube TV due to price and channel availability, I happily recommend Vue to anyone I talk to.

Reactions: Weaselboy

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I was in your boat before, calling every 12 months to get the new deal before promotional pricing ended, staying on the phone for an hour "threatening" to leave etc. However, Frontier FIOS finally put a stop to this in Texas and don't offer long term customers this option anymore. Essentially, I decided to bump to 200/200 for around $90 and added the PS Vue service at around $50 for a total of $140, taxes included. Nobody really needs a landline anymore so no need for me plus the DVRs for Frontier were extremely slow and lagging so I consider it an upgrade.

For $126 bucks, I would stay with your bundle as well!

Yes. Agree. Everyone situation is different.

I’m fortunate att fiber moved into area 2 years ago and it’s caused brighthouse/spectrum to dramatically decrease stand a lone internet cost while dramatically increasing speeds. As of 2015. I was paying $80/month for medium speed 20mpbs! Brifhthouse/spectrum stand alone internet.

I’m just afraid tv streaming services are at the mercy of big cable companies (aka Disney/abc/espn) and regional sports networks which keep increasing programming costs yearly. So streaming services with similar traditional cable stations were $35. Now its $40/45. I suspect it will increase to $50 soon in the next 12-18 months

Whathappened

Suspended
Mar 15, 2018
After running through most of the “cut the cord” TV options, I also ended up with PS Vue. Mainly because of most local channels using the medium option for local sports.

If I was to knit pick, the resolution for “fast sports” sometimes glitches when watching soccer for example. (Maybe originally sending in 50p) - Also, I find the DVR sometimes is trying to catch up and lags out a few seconds.

I wish they would end their beef with Fubo or beIn sports so I can watch la liga.

Audio is “stereo”.

I also have 200/200 so speed is not an option.
There is no sport named „soccer“ :p

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
Hopefully, they address the app or network issues that have my service routinely buffering or freezing outright with a single stream. This seems to happen more often on the Apple TV 4, not so much when using the Android TV app on my Sony TV. 1Gbps up/down so internet or LAN speed isn't the issue.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Although this is cool, I'll still stick to my Xfinity Stream subscription. PS Vue is still too expensive for the lack of channels they give you unless you get the Ultra package.

woogy12

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Camas, WA
Anyone with playstation vue on Apple TV get this to work? I dont see any option to view 4 streams? I am still at version 2.7.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.