Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Live TV streaming service PlayStation Vue recently added support for Apple's TV app on fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV devices, as well as on iOS. With this addition, PS Vue subscribers can now sync the on-demand movies and TV shows they watch within Sony's app to the TV app, making it easier to jump directly into a PS Vue stream.

ps-vue-update-tv-app.jpg

The update is evident when browsing for movies and TV shows in the TV app, with PlayStation Vue now listed as a location to stream content alongside previously supported apps like HBO GO, Prime Video, Showtime, Starz, Hulu, and others. If you subscribe to PS Vue and have the app installed, you can add PS Vue-compatible films and TV series to your Up Next list, and as you watch them in the PS Vue app, Apple's TV app will update and keep track of your progress.

As some users on Reddit pointed out, live sports also appear to be supported, so you'll be able to add games to your Up Next list, then jump directly into the game from the TV app to PS Vue and start watching. Apple hasn't noted PS Vue as a supported app yet on its website, but numerous users have reported seeing a splash screen when opening PS Vue on Apple TV, asking them for permission to connect to the TV app.

While there are nearly 90 apps supported in the TV app now, including a few live news apps, PS Vue's addition marks one of the first times an over-the-top live TV streaming service has been added. Rivals like DirecTV Now and YouTube TV lack this compatibility.

Article Link: PlayStation Vue Now Supports Apple TV App

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
So you can jump into live streams from TV app to Hulu With Live TV? I only have on-demand Hulu.
It doesn’t curate the live shows however it does track everything in the dvr and on demand. I also notice the tv app tracks shows after I watched them live on Hulu

Reactions: dabotsonline

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
This is great. I use a family members Hulu account, but this could essentially replace that if implemented properly. Pretty cool, will try later.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
As a Vue subscriber, I noticed the TV app integration over the weekend while watching CFB and NFL games. This is definitely a step in the right direction to me using the TV App more. Just hope Netflix adopts support soon.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Pretty nice. My understanding is that PS Vue supports pausing/scrubbing of live TV as well. I have DirecTV Now, which does not, and that is honestly my biggest complaint compared to a traditional TV/DVR experience.

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Just hope Netflix adopts support soon.
I'm bingeing The Haunting of Hill House and I still catch myself going into TV to jump to next episode :confused: It's become way too much of a habit that I've completely fallen behind on nearly every major Netflix show.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
This makes me actually give PSVue a closer look. I have DTVNow and am grandfathered into the higher level plan from launch, but if it works like I assume, it could be very easy for my wife and mother in law to grab the remote and jump into a show with their voice. As it is now, they have trouble navigating with DTVNow interface and that crap remote.

Geronimo

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2002
Nashville
I'm bingeing The Haunting of Hill House and I still catch myself going into TV to jump to next episode :confused: It's become way too much of a habit that I've completely fallen behind on nearly every major Netflix show.

Yep. The TV app is my "home base" when I turn on the TV. I would watch stuff on Netflix more consistently if they allowed their content to be integrated into the TV app alongside everything else I watch.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
I hear PS Vue is hemorrhaging money from Sony and the subscribers are low and they’re in a distant 5th place.

I plan on “cutting the cable” 2019 once my comcast contract is up and have been trying to figure out my options.

I already have Hulu through Spotify, and Netflix through T-Mobile, and HBO Showtime, and a few other cable channels through my parents, and YouTube Red.

I feel like paying for Comcast is just a waste.

Anyway I’d hate to subscribe to Vue just to have it shut down so I’m looking at my options and it seems like YT-TV or Hulu Live may be best.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm bingeing The Haunting of Hill House and I still catch myself going into TV to jump to next episode :confused:.
While waiting for TV.app to become more useful, I've been happily using WatchAid, which is pretty lightweight. You tell it what shows you're watching, it gives you a nice display of your shows that have unwatched episodes (with the newest updates separated out at the top). Click on a show, click on a season/episode, and it gives you buttons for all the ways to watch it (Hulu, Netflix, iTunes, tv network apps, streaming apps, etc). When you come back from watching an episode, it asks if you want to mark it as viewed, but you're also free to mark things arbitrarily (say if you've watched them elsewhere).

It doesn't do any "you may also be interested in / wouldn't you like to rent this?" stuff, just facilitates a whole lot, showing you what's new / what's next in shows you're watching. It also has an upcoming page that shows how many days until the next episode of each of your shows is released.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

Not to get too off topic, but The Haunting of Hill House is great thus far! Although I'm only 4 episodes in.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Anyway I’d hate to subscribe to Vue just to have it shut down so I’m looking at my options and it seems like YT-TV or Hulu Live may be best.

That’s the beauty of using these streaming services though. You can easily switch between them because you’re not locked into a contract, no rented equipment, and you can cancel or sign up online at anytime. Sign up for Vue. If they shutdown, then just sign up for one of the rival services in minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: nburwell

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
That’s the beauty of using these streaming services though. You can easily switch between them because you’re not locked into a contract, no rented equipment, and you can cancel or sign up online at anytime. Sign up for Vue. If they shutdown, then just sign up for one of the rival services in minutes.

Completely agree here. Although I'm a Vue subscriber, I have tried YouTube TV and Sling. So in the event that Sony shutters Vue, I can easily go to another live streaming TV service within a couple minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.