Playstation's 3.9 Million Holiday Season

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by 2nyRiggz, Jan 7, 2008.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Other than a lack of games, the only thing really keeping the PS3 down at this point, is the PS2. The PS2 was so successful that it is continuing to hurt PS3 sales. I've considered buying a PS2 again on several occasions. If Sony releases the newer model with the internal power supply, I just might buy one in fact.

From what I read elsewhere, the sales breakdown for the Holiday season was:

1.4 million PS2
    1.3 million PSP
    1.2 million PS3

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

These comments about lack of games really do my head in. How come I'm always getting great new software for my PS3? :rolleyes:

I actually own 25 games for my PS3 and I've sold a heap more. I really must be missing something. I've loved the games on the PS3 since launch. I've always found something to play.

4. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Exactly....I always wondered why people say that when all I'm doing is playing "good" games on the system.

I have ten games and PSN games(which brings it up to 16) for the system and I haven't gotten bored yet.

I think I ask this before but what's the caliber of a good game? 90%-100% reviews across the board?

Bless

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I think they mean lack of good games compared to the Xbox 360.

Personally I like my PS3, but all multiplat games I buy are for the 360. I only buy exclusives for the PS3.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

You mean multi platforms like Dirt or Oblivion? Both of which are better on PS3? I only buy good PS3 games, I'm not about to buy a bad game port or not. An example is The Orange Box sure it's better on 360. So why would I bother buying a broken game for my PS3?

IMHO bringing up ports is a waste of time. Some games are better on 360, some on PS3, hell most are equal now.

I think people that constantly bring up the Wii v 360 v PS3 in threads for the other console are nothing more than trolls. It happens all the time on every gaming forum I visit. It's pointless on all of them. The interesting thing is it always seems to be the same people.

7. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Kudos to Sony. May this bring about a continued onslaught of well developed games. :)

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To be honest as good (not great) as these PSP games I'm playing are - I'm still spending much more time running PS1 games on it. First play through on FF7, Jumping Flash 1-2, Abe's Odyssey, Rayman 1.

Still thinking the PSP's best feature is emulation. But hey it's good enough that I've got 2 locals buying PSP's and another 2 wanting them :D it's just (Slim) a very good piece of equipment but lacking the genius and fun of many DS games.

I also still can't get into the PS3. I'd say it's collecting dust but I keep my place clean.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Pretty impressive numbers. I was quite amused by Microsoft's CES conference when they bragged about the XBox 360's revenue being higher than competitors. When a company starts bragging about revenue instead of using profits or sales numbers (like they did last year), you know they're losing their lead.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was and I guess still am in similar situation.

But I've decided now this year I'm just going to buy whichever version is cheaper :)

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Only a year late for PS3 Oblivion. And a few months late for Dirt....

The PS3 has good games, but 360 has more.

But my PSP is nice, finally getting some action!

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just to clear this up.

The GOTY edition of Oblivion on the 360 has all the enhancements of the PS3 version.

So they are both the same :)

13. 2nyRiggz thread starter macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well the PS3 is a year behind the 360 so I would call that "right on time" and also lets not forget great titles like COD4 that are identical.

I wonder if UT3 looks better on the 360 will people say "It came out on the PS3 six month(whatever) before the 360 so thats the reason" or will they just accept that its better on the 360(which I highly doubt)

Yeah the PSP is getting some love....I gotta get some more games soon.

Bless

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

why is it Sony's $3.9 million holiday? I bet they made a hell of a lot more than 3.9 million bucks :p

I used to buy more multiplat's for my 360 but my friends never seem to buy games so I tend to buy them for my PS3 if all things are equal. I like the UI better and it's MUCH quieter than the jet-engine powered 360! If more dev's are like Criterion then that trend will continue since word is the PS3 version of Burnout is a hair better than the 360 version and the way their online system works it basically negates the advantage of Live of PSN.

15. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Well, I have a lot more friends on XBL. 'Tis why I buy them for that platform.

Though I still need to buy Warhawk... I promise I'll get it eventually!