PlayTV for PS3 previewed by IGN

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

IGN UK has previewed the new PlayTV for PlayStation 3. It's only going to be available initially for UK users, but the interface is remarkably slick. For once, I'm actually jealous of our UK friends. :)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/854/854941p1.html

Attached Files:

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Graaaar I want this. Apparently there's no DRM either, you can do what you want with the video files! That makes me happy since that means you can toss them on your Mac and convert them to iPod/iPhone.

This is pretty unusual, so bravo, Sony.

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yup. Just plain MPEG-2 (and in the future MPEG-4) files. Too bad it will never come to the United States because of our mass cable and satellite adoption.

Many people still don't realize that the best quality HD signal you're going to receive in the United States will come from OTA signals. Instead, we pay $12-25 per month to our cable and satellite providers just to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW and PBS in HD. Ridiculous.

OTA is back, baby! :D

I should also mention:

• PlayTV will automatically turn on your PS3 to record your shows, then subsequently turn the PS3 off when done recording
    • Dual tuner
    • You can use your PSP to schedule recordings locally or via the Internet
    • Programs can be exported to the XMB interface to share with other devices or transfer to external drives, etc
    • No monthly costs because EPG data is encoded in each channel's digital stream

Attached Files:

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So it's basically a freeview tuner, which in a lot of UK areas is the only way you can get terrestrial TV and it's built into a lot of TV's, DVD Recorders etc.. these days too...

Nice looking interface but not a big deal really, and it still means Ireland can go feck itself as we still only have analogue terrestrial TV.

So meh!!!

5. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I'm impressed. I'm waiting for the next PS3 as the black is a bit tacky, but this may be the straw that breaks this camels back.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    HAHAHAHAHA. Sony haters can suck it. Oh, I'm sorry? Did you spend 300 bucks on your AppleTV, that doesn't do TV? lmfao.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You realize this isn't available outside of Europe, right?

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And a price wasnt set yet either, it could be pricy... Standalone Freeview tuners can be bought for around £30.

Add to the fact a blinking toaster comes with freeview built in these days.. so not a big deal.

yes its nice, but its not a big deal at all. Especially outside of the few European countries who can actually get it.

9. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sony has already announced that it will cost around £100, and will be released at the end of March.

10. irbdavid macrumors regular

irbdavid

Definitely be getting me one of these, but I can see needing to upgrade the hard drive in my PS3 - I'd imagine that this would eat through 40GB of space pretty quickly

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So for £100 for the device + £100 for a bigger HDD when you can get a Freeview DVB recorder for around same price.

I guess it saves having two boxes under the TV. Still underwhelmed (but that's probably because I can't avail of one ;) )