pleas help with upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dissidentme, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dissidentme macrumors newbie

I am on iphone 3gs ios version 4.2.1 (modem firmware 05.15.04 if it matters) ..
    I want to upgrade to 4.3 how do I do so? the reason is I want to jailbreak my phone and want to get the most out it..

or should i not even bother because all the cydia JB apps will work fine on that version? just kind of confused with the whole jailbreak thing.... thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be fine jailbreaking 4.2.1
    If you never JB it before and didnt start saving its shsh blobs prior then you will not be able to restore to 4.3.3
    You can only restore to 4.3.5 and that will give you a tethered JB.

3. dissidentme thread starter macrumors newbie

what?

ive never JB before ti save this shsh blob you speak of?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you dont know what shsh blobs are and you never used Tinyumbrella then you dont have any saved for older firmware.
    Without those Apple/itunes will only let you restore to the latest firmware out and that's 4.3.5 right now.
    Your only choices are either stay on 4.2.1 and JB that or go up to 4.3.5 and have a tethered jailbreak.
    Hope you know what that is.

5. dissidentme thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I do know what tethered/untethered is...I will stay with 4.2.1 using greenposion or whatever its called JB... im just not sure what to do PRIOR to JB , ive done alot of research the last cpl days and still dont feel 100% confident that I know what to do pre-JB ..maybe you can provide nice clean,concise link or list from personal knowledge??

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only thing you need to do before you JB is backup your iphone with itunes.
    Then go for it, nothing else you need done prior.