Pleasantly surprised at my first bill / Getting 1500 text for free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I was just going back and reviewing my first bill because it is less then I thought.

My total came out to be $86.54

Now I have been with Cingular turning into AT&T for many years and some things may have been grandfathered in but what I am getting is:

600 anytime

Unlimited night and weekend

Unlimited M2M

And get this, I am getting 1500 text included in my $30.00 data package. It also seems I was not charged for any kind of activation or upgrade. My text package was from something called MediaMax that I got on my old 8125 from 3 years ago or so. Seems pretty good in my opinion. Are your bills fairly similar?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Good stuff.

For whatever reason, Fido insists that we pay for the hardware on the first bill ... some mine was a little crazy :eek:

3. atluten macrumors 6502

Interestingly when I upgraded from my old phone to the 2G iPhone, I also did not incur any type of upgrade fee. I guess we lucked out. Cheers.

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

So your on the MediMax with a 3G iphone?

Don't expect that to last too long. They run account audits looking for things like that.

Who knows you could keep slipping through ... congrats though.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Well I have had the first gen. iPhone for over a year with the same deal. Honestly I think this was grandfathered in. All I know is I am not complaining.

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

they do eh:confused:

yeah att is really savvy:rolleyes:

if you cant tell thats sarcasm

7. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Well I should put it this way, I am paying $30.00 for the "unlimited' data but it shows MediaMax 1500 and the price listed is $0.00

I am not a big text user as it is just nice not to be charged for every little thing. I am also glad they did not screw with my rollover min. I was worried I was going to loose those as well.

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Yes lots of strange grandfathered plans exist.

9. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I do remember the sales rep while activating telling me my services would be exactly the same just my bill would be $10.00 more per month. Well cheers to AT&T. I am really happy with my service and phone. I get 4 - 5 bars of 3G inside my home, average data rate right at 1,100 kbps and I have it jailbroken on 2.0.1 until pwnage comes out with their new version. Really a wonderful device.

How cool are the theme's... I mean, just look at a few of the home screens.

Attached Files:

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Those are killer... I wish I wasn't afraid of my iPhone messing up and getting bricked! :eek:

11. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Oh man you really should not be. The only way you can brick the phone with the pwnage tool is to interrupt the baseband update while unlocking the first gen. The 3G jailbreak does not even do this. All it does is jailbreak the firmware file, you put the phone in DFU mode and let itunes restore the custom firmware. If for any reason something screws up all you do is restore in iTunes. I have yet to hear of anyone screwing up a 3G iPhone with the pwnage. Ziphone on the other hand had some problems but pwnage is very easy to use.

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I was able to change my plan to the Unlimited data + 1500 texts on the att.com website. They dropped my data plan and then I went and called them an they said just reenable it on the site.. :confused: strange.

13. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Lavrishevo, can you provide us with some info on how we can get graphics like that on our phones? Did you buy a special App at the App Store that does that? Thank you. :)

14. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

You have to jailbreak your firmware. This is not unlocking the phone but unlocking the software on your phone to allow 3rd part app's to be installed not via the app store. I don't think Apple will ever allow official 3rd party apps to do themes. Probably because it violates the rules of the SDK.

Anyway if you wish to do themeing and other fun stuff check out the iPhone Hack forum and read up a bit.

Pwnage is the tool that works the best and is pretty easy for a computer literate person to use. Let me know if you have any other questions.

15. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

So you also have unlimited data + 1500 text for $30.00? Do you have this before on an old package? I did not add or delete anything just looked and there it was... :rolleyes: