Pleasantly Surprised by iBooks and FREE BOOKS!

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I wasn't really planning on doing too much book reading on this thing, but I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how nice iBook is. For me, the biggest surprise is all the free books. I started reading Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and War and Peace, both free. Seems like there are 1000's of other free book as well. Nice!

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Currently reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" which I got for free.

The book is way better than the movie, btw.

Benjic

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
Madison, WI
Where are you guy downloading books from, the iBooks store?

edit: Nvm.

edit 2: I foresee a huge spike in people actually READING.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Yes - when you browse a category, it shows to panes - one is top paid, and the other is top free. There are a ton. When I find a good free book, I then search the store for that Author, and there are usually 10-20 more for free by that same author. All the good classics whose copyrights have expired.

dulaney22

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008

It's one of the best books ever written. I like his other works too, but it's the most engaging.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Yes - when you browse a category, it shows to panes - one is top paid, and the other is top free. There are a ton. When I find a good free book, I then search the store for that Author, and there are usually 10-20 more for free by that same author. All the good classics whose copyrights have expired.
I don't see those two panes when viewing a category. Only way I can get a list of free books is to search for free or on the home screen in the bookstore if you scroll to the bottom there is a link to free books but you can't separate these by category.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
When you're viewing your bookshelf, drag it down towards the bottom of your screen and you'll see the hidden Apple logo.....

I like Easter eggs :eek:

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Yes - Project Gutenberg has done a great thing by converting so many classic books into ebooks.

As far as I know, their entire collection of over 30,000 titles is available.

Also, it's worth noting that Apple did a great thing by supporting their format and allowing them into the ibookstore!

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Anyone know the timeframe for when things fall out of copyright?

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I don't see those two panes when viewing a category. Only way I can get a list of free books is to search for free or on the home screen in the bookstore if you scroll to the bottom there is a link to free books but you can't separate these by category.
Sorry. It's under top charts in the bottom of the iBook store.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010

Within iBooks there are 4 "The Count of Monte Cristo", free one, a 4.99 one and two 5.99 ones. Looks to be all the same.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Within iBooks there are 4 "The Count of Monte Cristo", free one, a 4.99 one and two 5.99 ones. Looks to be all the same.
They are exactly the same, it's just other publishers trying to make a buck off of a public domain book.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

edit: Nvm.

edit 2: I foresee a huge spike in people actually READING.
My reading has spiked, although not like mad, due to the Kindle app for iPhone. But between the news apps and that, I read a lot more than I used to.

For those wondering why there are so many free books, I think copyrights only last about 75 years. So Apple and Amazon can put them out there without licensing worries.

I do hope libraries work out ways to allow "borrowing" books. It could work a lot like the movie rental process. I just don't know how the pricing would go.

dustinl4m3

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.[1] Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.