Please advise: 5400 or 7200rpm on MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerchord, Jan 18, 2008.

1. powerchord macrumors member

Hi everyone, I will probably be making a purchase in a few hours (17" 2.4, hi-res, matte). One final question: which hard drive to get 5400 or 7200?

I spoke with an Apple sales rep last night who sort of hinted that the 7200rpm might be more prone to failure (because of higher spin speeds)? That threw me off a bit. Is this true?

I will be using the laptop primarily as a desktop replacement, and will be spending a few hours on it each day (mostly for researching, reading online journals and news, preparing documents and presentations, and some audio, photo, and video editing, and internet of course). In addition to the usual word/office programs, I will be using some applications like Aperture, iLife movies, maybe Final Cut Express, and will be burning audio cds and dvds as well.

For my purposes what do you all recommend? or what is your experience with the drives?

Thanks!

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I've been using 7200rpm laptop drives for 7 years now across multiple laptops with no trouble at all (PC & Mac). The speed improvement is great and I suggest it as the better option. :D

3. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

Interesting advice from the Apple Rep. I got the opposite advice when I was deciding on my MBP. I was advised that faster is better if you can afford it. Yes you lose HDD capacity, but if you need more, you can always add an external.

I have been very happy with the 7200 and have not heard of any problems with them.

4. plumpan macrumors regular

ill be picking up my 17" hi-res matte MBP in a few hours as well!!! i am also getting 7200rpm hd as well for the increse in speed, and will probably pick up a external hd in the future. btw, can the time capsule be used for storage, or just backup? :cool:

5. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

You're going to love it!

I only know that Steve Jobs said it could be used for backup for more than one computer. He made no mention of it as a stand alone HD. I think this is because it works wirelessly through Time Machine. I currently have an external HD that I plug in for Time Machine backup. This "all inclusive wireless drive" was supposed to eliminate having to physically attach a HD for Time Machine backups.

6. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

what about heat increase? is there a noticeable difference?

also, if I get an external hd, I presume that a 7200 on my MBP will aid in the transference of data? is it really that much quicker?

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

On paper, typically 7200rpm drives are 30% faster than 5400rpm drives of the same size.

But it also depends on how much data you need to put on your drive. A 80gb 7200rpm drive storing 75gb of data will be slower than a 320gb 5400rpm drive storing the same data.

8. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

in your opinion, does that drain the battery in a significant way? or really lead to major heat issues?

9. Winglet macrumors regular

Winglet

I have not noticed any major heat issues. The MBP will get warm if you use it on your lap. It is not a laptop, but a notebook. The aluminum is doing it's job and dissipating the heat.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have noticed no difference in heat from mine to my wife's 17" MBP with the 250gb 5400rpm HDD. Also battery wise no difference, I get better as I turn my brightness down etc compared to my wifes.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most reviews say no significant change in heat or battery life.

Here are some speed benchmarks
    http://barefeats.com/hard96.html

12. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I never noticed a heat increase... just a speed increase.

Yep. Any bit of speed increase is nice, especially on a laptop.

I never noticed it. The battery life seemed to stay the same in all cases. No dramatic difference.

13. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

ok, thanks everyone!

I guess I will go for the 7200 then. I wonder though what that apple rep was trying to get at?

cheers.