please advise: Macbook Pro classic Refurb Quality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zer0tails, Mar 24, 2009.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

So after much thought and deliberation I've more or less decided to get a refurb macbook pro classic 2.5 GHz version (early 2008). Considering the unibody's price difference of $500 I have decided its better to err on the side of "cheaper and more affordable" in light of the recession. I prefer the matte screen as well though I like the keyboard, brick build and dual gpus in the unibody.

I have 2 questions I hope someone could answer:

1. i know its impossible to say but Is it likely that the refurb macbook pro 2.5 i get would be a computer returned after Apple's acknowledgement of the Nvidia 8600 faulty gpu?

2. is it foolish to buy a computer with a known gpu issue and which
    according to people is a ticking time bomb just because its cheaper? what i'm say is..is it worth the risk?

THANK YOU :D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All refurb models are carefully checked, repaired (if necessary) and are the same quality as new models. They are also covered by Apple's warranty and are eligible for AppleCare extended coverage. You can buy refurb models with confidence.

I prefer my early 2008 MBP over the unibody models. I'm extremely satisfied with it.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Any refurb is going to be very well-tested before sale. You won't have any more problems than someone who bought new when it was new.

I wouldn't put much stock in the 8600M GT at all anymore, though, regardless of manufacture date. Mine was made after the supposed cutoff, and it's failing.

I can't play games on my MacBook Pro anymore because of my slowly-failing GPU. 1080p drops frames like a harlot drops pants; excuse the analogy (Think 1080p on a GMA950 and you'd get the basic idea).

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

My spouse has my hand-me-down and nary a problem with the video (and the matte screen is much better). Remember, too, that the refurbs come with the same one-year warranty as new so if an issue develops...

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Every single mac i've owned with exception of the MBP Unibody has been a refurb unit. That's the white iMac Core Duo, Power Mac G5 Dual-CPU, Power Mac G5 Dual-Core, silver iMac Core 2 Duo, black macbook, MacBook Pro classic 2.2 GHz, MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz. All exceptional quality.

6. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

@ Tallest Skil: what do you mean by "I wouldn't put much stock in the 8600M GT at all anymore, though, regardless of manufacture date." could you please clairfy thanks!

yes the matte screen is a huge factor for me since I stare at my computer 3/4ths of the day.

I know a common argument people have made on this forums is that to never buy Rev. A machines..does this still hold true with the current unibodys? Does this make the refurb macbook pro an excellent option then since it was the last of its line?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The chip sucks eggs.:D

It's unreliable, unsafe, and underclocked (I think. Really, I just wanted a third "un-" word).

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I was one of those in the anti rev a chorus and then went out and got myself a uniMBP in December anyway because it was so very pretty :eek::D. Not sorry in the least - I've had great luck with it and none of the problems that usually creep out in new models (knock wood and all that).

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You just want to pee on the chip because you've had bad luck with it. Or maybe it's the other way around... :p:):)

10. pablol macrumors member

I just recently got a 2.4 MBP 15" (matte) from the Refurb store and am totally satisfied. It looked brand new and there was not a single flaw I could find. I got it for $1350 and for me there isn't much difference performance-wise between this one and the current $1999 unibody MBP. I also prefer the look and keyboard of mine, plus the fact that it's a matte screen. And you get FW400 and FW800. So for me, it's a better machine and I saved a ton.

11. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I had my boards replaced multiple times from Nvidia failure, and ultimately my MBP was replaced with a new one this winter, after Apple had replaced every single component except the hard drive, ram, battery, and screen. Top and bottom case too, techs managed to bend those. Happy was the opposite of how I felt about my SR MBP after the one year mark. Before that, smooth sailing. I was never displeased with the company though, or the function of the product, while functional. And Apple did their part to take care of me all the same...

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I got a refurb classic back in December and i actually really like it. Its very capable and IMO a better design overall than the Unibody (and i owned a Unibody MacBook but traded it in for my Classic)

The GPU will fail sooner or later...mine did within a few weeks but Apple replaced it and its been 3 months now and i haven't had issues despite stressing it day in/day out. I watch a lot of HD videos, use Aperture etc

Word going around is the REV 2 (revision 2) logic boards have refurbed GPU chips and are unlikely to fail but i can't say if this is true or not

My advise...if you're gonna get the classic make sure you get AppleCare as well, that way if you keep getting problems Apple will give you a Unibody machine replacement but other than that refurbs are like new only more inspected and it doesn't come in a pretty box.

13. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

now i'm even more confused :p just watching the refurb store to see if it comes up

EDIT: yes..regardless I will get Apple care. I always prefer the ease of mind. I'm basically looking for a no compromise machine.

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

I have the late 2008 MBP, refurbed, and have been very happy with it. Its got the NVidia chip - and knowing that going in, I also bought AppleCare. I've had no problems with the video. I'm hoping I develop problems in about a year and a half so I can get the logic board replaced, or even a new system. Its been rock solid, and I buy most of my stuff now from the refurb store.

15. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

i found an interesting post by an Apple Genius on refurbs: Posting here for other members who come across this thread in the future.

Question
    What’s the deal with Apple refurbs? Or, to put it another way, where do they come from and why are they so awesome? I’ve bought a number of Apple refurb products, including computers, an iPod, and Airport Express unit, and they’ve all come in indistinguishable-from-new condition. Are these products that are returned unused or something else?

Answer from Apple Genius
    I love Apple refurbs, to be honest. A lot of refurbished products never had anything wrong with them other than defective customers. Some had minor problems. Apple takes them back, fixes them1, and resells them at a steep discount. There is a dark side, however. Occasionally, one sneaks through the refurb process unfixed. To be fair, for the number of refurbs Apple sells, I very, very, very seldom saw one in for service. Also in the interest of fairness, those few I saw were, for lack of a better term, completely and utterly FUBAR. And I mean it.

Not “oh yeah, that’s ****ed up.” Not “Holy cow, that’s ****ed.” Uncategorically. Completely. Utterly. FUBAR. “A coked up Russian mail-order bride being harassed by a black-tar snorting retarded monkey could have spotted this machine as trouble” FUBAR. So FUBAR, my only response is to immediately, without argument, without the customer even requesting it, providing a complete product replacement. Luckily, such cases are exceedingly rare.