Please Advise Me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NewGuyToMac, Jul 29, 2008.

1. NewGuyToMac macrumors newbie

First things first, I apologize now for the long post.

I am in the market for a new computer, I am sick of my PC, currently a Toshiba, which hasn't been to bad. Other than a halogen lamp incident where it melted part of the case, its been a pretty decent notebook, but I am sick of how slow it is has gotten and am looking to get a new one. After getting my first iPod a couple years ago and an iPhone last year, I made the determination that my next computer will be a Mac. Now the hard part is deciding which one. I am a student, so I will take advantage of the discount and possibly the iPod touch, even though I have an iPhone and don't need it. I dont do any heavy graphics nor heavy gaming. My primary use is typing papers, email, web surfing, burning dvd's/cd's, and the occasional editing of photos, but with decent software, might do more of that. My current PC still works, its only about 2 years old, and I will still have to use it for some of school work because my school does not support Mac's. But I will only only have to use the PC for exams, my school's exams are all essay and are typewritten and uses special software which is PC based. I know I can get XP on my Mac by using Bootcamp, but I dont want to risk doing this as this is my grade, I would worry about loosing it and it would be better for me just to use my PC since it still works.

Initially, I had made up my mind that I would get the mid-level MacBook and play the waiting game, since I dont really need it now. But after thinking about it, since I am still going to have to use my current notebook for school purposes, I thought about getting an iMac instead and using my notebook for school. The only problem with that is taking documents from Office 2003 on my PC and transferring them to my iMac to work on them and then transfer them back, its not that big of a deal to do this, it just could get a little annoying. Will I have any problems doing this? And the fact that I only really need my PC for exam purposes, which is one week a term, it might be better just to get the MacBook. So now I am back to thinking about the MB instead of the iMac.

Instead of getting the iMac, I have put some thought into getting an Apple Cinema Display as well. How well does this work with the MB? Are they worth the money? Can I find something that is just as good, but a little cheaper? I am looking at the 20 inch display. I have looked on the Apple Refurb store and saw these going for $499 down from $1299, which at first I thought was a great deal, then upon looking into it further, I can add a 20 inch display to my MB order for $549. Is there any difference in these displays? I would rather pay $50 more and get a brand new one instead of a refurb.

Sorry for my ramblings . . .

Thanks for the help!

2. rvrugg90 macrumors member

i've asked plenty of question on here...the one thing i do know about is monitors...so its the only part i can help you with. First (and honestly) I wouldnt get an apple cinema display. I dont think they are worth the money. There are better priced/better preforming competitors on the market now. I mentioned this to someone else today but I picked up my HP 2207 22" for like $287. I believe they offer a 20in version as well.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/126075/top_5_20_and_22inch_widescreen_monitors.html

search for more reviews on google. I think its widely recognized as a really superb monitor.

Check out dell's monitors as well. Very nice performance and cost balance too!

Hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck!

Good Luck

3. jroller macrumors regular

I will echo rvrugg90's recommendation. The Apple Cinema Displays are of very good quality, but so are others -- at a lower price. I would also recommend a Dell monitor (ultrasharp, I think, is the model) if you are going to get an extra monitor.

I believe your experience with the ipod and iphone are good harbingers of what your experience will be like with your new Mac. Enjoy...

4. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

hey,
    I'm in a similar situation as you - need PC for certain stuff at school (esp office word/excel docs)... I wanted the MacBook, but have a 2 yr old perfect laptop so I got an iMac. I am so happy with my decision; love the screen and power. Now if I need to get office (wor/excel) files on my mac, I just grab them from my shared tan (my PC shows up).

Good choice with a mac either way!

5. NewGuyToMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the responses! I appreciate the info and the help. I am pretty much set on getting the Mid-range MB white and get some type of external monitor. Lets hope the waiting game ends soon!

How would I connect the MB to the external monitor?

Thanks again!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

um.... with a monitor cable?

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

You plug in the power on the display, hook it up to the MacBook via a mini DVI to DVI cable, turn on the display, and configure it how you want in the MacBook's system preferences.

8. NewGuyToMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help on this, I knew it was some kind of monitor cable, but wasnt sure which one. I appreciate your time to thoughtfully answer my question.