Please advise on next iMac purchase

Discussion in 'iMac' started by plylax, Aug 2, 2012.

  1. plylax macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #1
    So I am in the market for an iMac. Let me start again... I am dying to get an iMac. I really don't care about Retina display. With that being said, is it worth going out and getting the iMac now or is it really worth the wait to see if they go ivy bridge in Sept-Oct? Am I really going to notice that much of a difference in speed? I use my macs primarily for music software and web browsing if that helps.

    Thank you in advance to all who reply.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ipad 2 16GB/Mac Book 3,1 2.2GHz/iphone 4/Ipod Touch/I pod classic 32 GB
     
  2. Peace macrumors Core

    Peace

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    Location:
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    #2
    I'd wait. Not just for Ivy Bridge but also for USB 3.0 ports.
     
  3. d0nK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #3
    Never buy old computer tech unless it's heavily discounted.
    Wait.
    USB3, Ivy Bridge and the new GFX card make it worth waiting another month or so, rather than buying 15 month old tech for the same price it cost 15 months ago :eek:
     
  4. plylax thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2009
    #5
    Thank you all!

    Enough said! Thank you to all who replied. I will wait. It's tough when you have a 1K gift card burning a hole in your pocket.

    Thanks again.
     
  5. Lancer macrumors 68020

    Lancer

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    I know how you feel, I finally can afford the new 27" iMac I want but will wait. Like others said if you can get the one you want at a great discount then I say go for it. Yes Ivy Bridge will be faster and USB3 will be a good upgrade. Also we're likely to get more for our money, maybe bigger HDD/SSD, better GPU and rumor has it the iMac might move to i7 as standard on some models.

    On balance if you need a new iMac now and can find a good price then get one, you'll love it. If you can wait then hold off and get the new or updated iMac later in the year.

    Personally I'm in it for the long haul and will wait until the end of the year if I have to!
     
  6. Apple... macrumors 68020

    Apple...

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    The United States
    #7
    Good. You won't be seeing a Retina display in an iMac for quite awhile. And yes, wait.
     

Share This Page