Please Answer Questions Re: EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BrianDavid0523, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Joined:
    Aug 20, 2005
    I wanna be able to view HDTV on my iMac.

I'm looking at the EyeTV Hybrid. I have two questions:

1 - Can I connect the EyeTV Hybrid to my Comcast digital receiver?

2 - What is the best HD Antenna for indoor use?
    I live in a condo development and we cannot mount antennas on the
    outside of the building

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) You can connect the EyeTV Hybrid through either a Coax Cable or the RCA cables (the former allows for HD, the latter no), or you can bypass the box and get all the analog channels (below 100) and any unencrypted Digital Channels (but on different channels than the box shows) which on may systems includes your local HD Channels.

2) Goto AntennaWeb.org to find the best antenna for your area, and in reality, you can use almost any antenna if you are in an urban area, as it is the reciever, not the antenna, that determines if you can or cannot get Digital TV (including HDTV).

TEG

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I use my Hybrid to get HDTV on my iMac without it being plugged into my Comcast receiver (I don't subscribe to HDTV channels anyway). I do receive some basic HDTV channels though and they look great on my 24" iMac.
    If you did plug in your Comcast box I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work. They EyeTV software is pretty great overall.

4. BrianDavid0523 thread starter Guest

Thank you both! I just ordered the EyeTV from Amazon. Can't wait to see how well it works with an HDAntenna - maybe I can get rid of evil Comcast forever - hate that company more than Microsoft.

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Make sure you know what channels you're local TV affiliates will broadcast on as it's not necessarily the same as their analog channel numbers. Most DTV signals will need a UHF antenna, but some stations you will still need a VHF antenna.

BTW, there is no such thing as an HD antenna for DTV, just UHF, VHF and a UHF/VHF combo. They are all pretty much the same antennas your grandparents used in 1950.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Man, you can say that again.