Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
I think you missed my point. What makes the Apple apps so much better than all the other great apps on the app store? What makes them "feel so right" as compared to others? I never said I has any issues with any apple app. I just don't see where they are head and shoulders above other apps that are available.

Apple is very busy fixing their mess with the 2.0 update and trying to get all the features they promised in the 2.1 update in the software. The two App Store apps they produced work well, function as they should, and do not have many glitches. If it wasn't for all the bug fixes and other things they have to do, I am sure they would be turning out more games and applications for the phone.

JCredible86

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
On earth
Here's The Deal!!

Then don't no one is making you buy these phones.

Bring on iChat.

Easy to say Mr. 8G (No offense cheapskates & Ballers on Budgets).
It's not about the money its about quality and being loyal to exsisting customers. Do you know what "purchase power" means?

It means that when you [can only afford] buy an 8G iPhone, you above all should want your $$ to mean something.

Metuas

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
I would love to see any alternative AIM-compatible SMS app, because AIM flat-out does not work. I see no buddies, I can't send IMs, I don't receive IMs. I have to use one of the AIM web-apps.

Whether it's iChat, Adium, or otherwise, any new one would be welcome.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
Easy to say Mr. 8G (No offense cheapskates & Ballers on Budgets).
It's not about the money its about quality and being loyal to exsisting customers. Do you know what "purchase power" means?

It means that when you [can only afford] buy an 8G iPhone, you above all should want your $$ to mean something.

Really you're attacking me because I decided not to spend an extra 100 dollars for double the space when I didn't need it. Sure I could have easily bought it but I didn't need it but I did need a new phone. Like I said no one is making you buy the new iPhone you really have no room for an argument. Besides Apple isn't dumb enough to release a new iPhone with that feature so close to the 3G being released in a year maybe but not now.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
I can see why Apple has skipped out on an iChat application with the release of the App Store. After all, why do something they know AOL was going to do and were sure third party devs would do at some point too?

However, I personally would prefer to see a more tightly integrated iChat app made by Apple. 2-way video conferencing is not the point, yet, but rather an experience that could involve multiple protocols without the mess of a proprietary account (e.g., Palringo) or third party servers (e.g., MobileChat).

And then there's still some things missing from the current array of IM applications. How about abilities to send media (photos, non-DRM videos, etc.) directly in the IM? Take pictures and immediately send them? Maybe show your contact exactly where you are with a link to Google Maps generated from your GPS-determined location? Decent voice-chat? And so on. These are things I think Apple would be better at implementing on their own phone than anyone else.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
I can see why Apple has skipped out on an iChat application with the release of the App Store. After all, why do something they know AOL was going to do and were sure third party devs would do at some point too?

However, I personally would prefer to see a more tightly integrated iChat app made by Apple. 2-way video conferencing is not the point, yet, but rather an experience that could involve multiple protocols without the mess of a proprietary account (e.g., Palringo) or third party servers (e.g., MobileChat).

And then there's still some things missing from the current array of IM applications. How about abilities to send media (photos, non-DRM videos, etc.) directly in the IM? Take pictures and immediately send them? Maybe show your contact exactly where you are with a link to Google Maps generated from your GPS-determined location? Decent voice-chat? And so on. These are things I think Apple would be better at implementing on their own phone than anyone else.

I agree with everything said here, why reinvent the wheel. But Apple is more focused on fixing the bugs from 2.0 and 2.0.1 and getting everything ready for 2.1. As soon as Apple manages to release a stable, not too buggy OS, then they will probably add applications like that

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
Video chat would be awesome on the iPhone, but, it's not going to happen unless they release a new iPhone with the camera lens on the screen side of the phone.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Video chat would be awesome on the iPhone, but, it's not going to happen unless they release a new iPhone with the camera lens on the screen side of the phone.

Yeah, at this point it's unlikely if Apple will even let the camera record video anyway. So video chat doesn't seem likely to ever happen

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
Yeah, at this point it's unlikely if Apple will even let the camera record video anyway. So video chat doesn't seem likely to ever happen

My guess is that it will come with the next iPhone hardware revision and iPhone OS 3.0. They will do the same thing they did last time, and let 3G users upgrade to the new OS with video recording.

As for iChat, I can see them perhaps releasing it on the App store along with 2.1 and PUSH notifications. What better way to show off the new push system than with their own chat app? My guess for 2.1 is the September iPod media event.

NJPitcher

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2006
I think the biggest issue is that I have all my contacts in my address book synced with their screen names, so I'd like an app that would go into my address book ala ichat and have my buddy list show up with their names, exctly like ichat does. I know this option exists with aim (where I would have to manually input each name again), but if the information already exists in my address book, why can't someone make an app that uses this info?

JCredible86

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
On earth
Really you're attacking me because I decided not to spend an extra 100 dollars for double the space when I didn't need it. Sure I could have easily bought it but I didn't need it but I did need a new phone. Like I said no one is making you buy the new iPhone you really have no room for an argument. Besides Apple isn't dumb enough to release a new iPhone with that feature so close to the 3G being released in a year maybe but not now.

They released a 3G model when it should have came that way
They released phones that were cracked in the box
They want $$ u dont know what theyre gonna do

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Apple is very busy fixing their mess with the 2.0 update and trying to get all the features they promised in the 2.1 update in the software. The two App Store apps they produced work well, function as they should, and do not have many glitches. If it wasn't for all the bug fixes and other things they have to do, I am sure they would be turning out more games and applications for the phone.
Which I am more than happy to let them do.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
They released a 3G model when it should have came that way
They released phones that were cracked in the box
They want $$ u dont know what theyre gonna do

No, the 3G model should not exist at all right now. The network isn't large enough, and the radios are too power hungry. But people bitched loud enough and Apple relented knowing it would sell well

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
My guess is that it will come with the next iPhone hardware revision and iPhone OS 3.0. They will do the same thing they did last time, and let 3G users upgrade to the new OS with video recording.

But you'd have to stand in front of a mirror with the iPhone 3G to do a video chat with it.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
But you'd have to stand in front of a mirror with the iPhone 3G to do a video chat with it.

LOLZ, I could see people doing that. They complain they want video chat, and then if they get it and Apple moves the camera, they'll complain because they can't take pictures

Trajectory

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2005
Earth
LOLZ, I could see people doing that. They complain they want video chat, and then if they get it and Apple moves the camera, they'll complain because they can't take pictures

Right, Apple would need to put a little camera in the earpiece as well to make it work for video chats. But, I'd rather be able to do video chats than take pictures with the iPhone. I'll bet iPhone 3.0 will be able to do video chats. When that happens, I'll know that we've finally arrived in the 21st Century.

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
Right, Apple would need to put a little camera in the earpiece as well to make it work for video chats. But, I'd rather be able to do video chats than take pictures with the iPhone. I'll bet iPhone 3.0 will be able to do video chats. When that happens, I'll know that we've finally arrived in the 21st Century.

Yes, yes. I still don't understand why people want video chat when they are holding a phone in their hand? Can someone explain that to me? In a logical way, other than saying just because?

Quincy9219

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
There is plenty of community pressure for this.

But no reason, and no point. Video recording is a feature found in most phones these days, video conferencing, when you are holding a phone in your hand, however is not and is largely useless with a back mounted camera. Like I said, as soon as they move the camera to let you easily video conference, you'll complain about the inconvenience of being unable to take pictures. Apple can't make everyone perfectly happy. They have to make those of us who recognize the iPhone for what it is, a phone. Granted, a phone with capabilities far and away from what we have seen before, but a phone nonetheless. Not a magic device that can do everything with a wave of Steve Jobs' magic wand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.