All iPads Please Apple, stop being obsessed with weight

Grolubao

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Hi guys,

Just noticed two dents near the iPad name in the back of my iPad air. Can't believe I got them since I really baby the iPad. Just compared the back of the Air with the iPad 2 and boy the 2 is so much sturdier and solid.

I even pressed with my finger on the ipad Air and I believe with the right pressure I could push the aluminium further down.

Give us sturdier devices, forget weight, most people don't even notice it anyway

rdy0329

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2012
Weight is key

Weight is key to a good experience. If I'm in a new market for a new tablet, I don't think iPad Air would stand a chance over the mini if it weren't for its overall reduced weight versus the previous generations.

I have similarly designed iPad mini and use it without case or covers, dropped it a few times and the worst I got was paint coming off the back corner (no deformation). I guess I'm lucky but that does not detract from the notion that maybe Apple designed it that way.

Saturn1217

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
Weight is a huge factor in my buying decisions for anything that I plan to carry with me or hold on a regular basis. I wouldn't have bought the iPad Air at all (never bought any of the previous iPads) if it weren't for the dramatic reduction in weight.

While yes, Apple can get a bit obsessed with thin and light, in the case of a tablet it makes perfect sense.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I agree and hope that Apple does not make it's phones or iPads any thinner. They are only giving us what they think we want and WOW us with thin and lightness.

The problem is we are at the point of loss of structural integrity and find that our devices will dent, shatter or bend more easily. I would sacrifice some weight loss and thinness for a little more robust build.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I for one like them to focus on weight. Untill they weigh so little that I can hold an iPad in one hand for extended periods (Ie. for reading), then they can shave off more.

Thickness on the other hand, they should stop being so focused on shaving off more. It is fine as it is, and I actually think it will be less easy to hold if it gets much thinner.

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I don't mind ultra thinness but at some point structural integrity does have to take a hit. Unless they start making them out of carbon fiber or titanium alloy which would make the cost double. I'm fine with how the Air feels and operates but I'd prefer it not get much lighter. It's really super light right now and doesn't need to be any lighter IMO.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I don't think that iPad needs to get any thinner, but I want the iPad to be as light as possible.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple's obsession with thinness and weight is driving the acceleration of miniaturization of established technologies, that simply cannot be a bad thing.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
The main reason I have an air is the killer weight class. You can actually hold this thing forever without fatigue. Truly A+ design.

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi guys,

Just noticed two dents near the iPad name in the back of my iPad air. Can't believe I got them since I really baby the iPad. Just compared the back of the Air with the iPad 2 and boy the 2 is so much sturdier and solid.

I even pressed with my finger on the ipad Air and I believe with the right pressure I could push the aluminium further down.

Give us sturdier devices, forget weight, most people don't even notice it anyway
Maybe you should be more obsessed with not denting your iPad. :D

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Weight is key to a good experience. If I'm in a new market for a new tablet, I don't think iPad Air would stand a chance over the mini if it weren't for its overall reduced weight versus the previous generations.
While your point is well taken and respected I have to say you're way off base unless you're referring to your own needs. I'm not saying the 9.7" iPad could be as heavy as an anvil for me but I will say that the previous gens were perfectly fine as far as weight because weight is not why I bought my iPad Air. I didn't want the small size screen of the mini. That's just too small for me and it's not ideal for me so to say that the iPad Air wouldn't stand a chance against the mini had it not been light in weight is just wrong.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
I don't mind the case being thin to keep the weight down... I just wish they would fill every conceivable space inside with more battery. That would add strength to the outside, and imo the extra battery life would be worth a bit of a weight bump

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
A mobile workstation is what is needed.

An "ultrabook workstation" oxymoron would not qualify.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I don't mind the case being thin to keep the weight down... I just wish they would fill every conceivable space inside with more battery. That would add strength to the outside, and imo the extra battery life would be worth a bit of a weight bump
Lithium batteries should NEVER be considered for structural support :eek:

Also as to the underlined, they already have: