All iPads Please Apple, stop being obsessed with weight

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Grolubao, May 20, 2014.

1. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Hi guys,

Just noticed two dents near the iPad name in the back of my iPad air. Can't believe I got them since I really baby the iPad. Just compared the back of the Air with the iPad 2 and boy the 2 is so much sturdier and solid.

I even pressed with my finger on the ipad Air and I believe with the right pressure I could push the aluminium further down.

Give us sturdier devices, forget weight, most people don't even notice it anyway

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Pictures of the iPad please. And I think the iPad air is fine and I really like the aluminum on it.

3. MikeVera macrumors member

Most people don't notice weight?

That's not true...

4. medic27 macrumors member

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Weight is key

Weight is key to a good experience. If I'm in a new market for a new tablet, I don't think iPad Air would stand a chance over the mini if it weren't for its overall reduced weight versus the previous generations.

I have similarly designed iPad mini and use it without case or covers, dropped it a few times and the worst I got was paint coming off the back corner (no deformation). I guess I'm lucky but that does not detract from the notion that maybe Apple designed it that way.

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Weight is a huge factor in my buying decisions for anything that I plan to carry with me or hold on a regular basis. I wouldn't have bought the iPad Air at all (never bought any of the previous iPads) if it weren't for the dramatic reduction in weight.

While yes, Apple can get a bit obsessed with thin and light, in the case of a tablet it makes perfect sense.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Maybe it is time for Apple to start making hardened plastic back case and use flexible plastic glass? :apple:

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I agree and hope that Apple does not make it's phones or iPads any thinner. They are only giving us what they think we want and WOW us with thin and lightness.

The problem is we are at the point of loss of structural integrity and find that our devices will dent, shatter or bend more easily. I would sacrifice some weight loss and thinness for a little more robust build.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I for one like them to focus on weight. Untill they weigh so little that I can hold an iPad in one hand for extended periods (Ie. for reading), then they can shave off more.

Thickness on the other hand, they should stop being so focused on shaving off more. It is fine as it is, and I actually think it will be less easy to hold if it gets much thinner.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I don't mind ultra thinness but at some point structural integrity does have to take a hit. Unless they start making them out of carbon fiber or titanium alloy which would make the cost double. I'm fine with how the Air feels and operates but I'd prefer it not get much lighter. It's really super light right now and doesn't need to be any lighter IMO.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I don't think that iPad needs to get any thinner, but I want the iPad to be as light as possible.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple's obsession with thinness and weight is driving the acceleration of miniaturization of established technologies, that simply cannot be a bad thing.

13. MikeVera macrumors member

You know, with just a little more forethought, this could have been clever...

14. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

The main reason I have an air is the killer weight class. You can actually hold this thing forever without fatigue. Truly A+ design.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Maybe you should be more obsessed with not denting your iPad. :D

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

While your point is well taken and respected I have to say you're way off base unless you're referring to your own needs. I'm not saying the 9.7" iPad could be as heavy as an anvil for me but I will say that the previous gens were perfectly fine as far as weight because weight is not why I bought my iPad Air. I didn't want the small size screen of the mini. That's just too small for me and it's not ideal for me so to say that the iPad Air wouldn't stand a chance against the mini had it not been light in weight is just wrong.

17. medic27 macrumors member

It was all in good fun. No bad intentions, just provoking a quick chuckle.:)

18. mcdspncr macrumors regular

mcdspncr

I don't mind the case being thin to keep the weight down... I just wish they would fill every conceivable space inside with more battery. That would add strength to the outside, and imo the extra battery life would be worth a bit of a weight bump

19. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

20. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

21. cube macrumors G5

A mobile workstation is what is needed.

An "ultrabook workstation" oxymoron would not qualify.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lithium batteries should NEVER be considered for structural support :eek:

Also as to the underlined, they already have: [​IMG]

23. Grolubao thread starter macrumors 65816

Grolubao

I really have no clue. Haven't dropped it once.

24. MikeVera macrumors member

Haha no worries