please assist - external drive options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vtwep, Feb 21, 2016.

1. vtwep macrumors newbie

New to the forum and still somewhat new to the iMac world. I have a late 2013 27" iMac, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB memory, and a 3TB fusion drive.

The drive has been filling up quickly with lots of photos and video. I do some very amateur editing with Final Cut Pro X. I'm looking to add an external drive that will remain connected/active. I would transfer photos/videos to that drive, and access them when viewing or editing, leaving everything else on the built in drive. I am hoping this can be accomplished without noticing any delays while accessing/editing.

Is this possible? And if so, can it be done for around $300-400 (or less)? I think I would prefer 3TB or 4TB external. I'm guessing some sort of Thunderbolt setup would be my best option?

Please provide any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

seagate backup fast 4tb. it's perfect for your needs.

3. vtwep thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! On a quick search, that looks to be USB 3.0. Would a Thunderbolt solution be faster? Or is the USB 3.0 "fast enough" to use as an active drive?

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

there would be no real world benefit to thunderbolt. usb is more than robust enough for raid drives. only the top speed ssds and raid ssds benefit from thunderbolt. the drive is great and doesn't need an external power source. it becomes invisible.....

5. vtwep thread starter macrumors newbie

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Don't buy Seagate drives ever!

You better bet would be to get a blank carrier and put your own drive into it. So if that driver is bad you can easily change it out yourself!

7. swamyg1 macrumors regular

What would you recommend for a blank carrier, and what hard drives do you recommend to put in it?

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I suggest a HGST drives or Toshiba data center drives.

9. vtwep thread starter macrumors newbie

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

For a blank carrier I love the NewerTech mini stack.