Please bring me up to speed...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spaceboots06, Aug 12, 2010.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hello,

I ordered an iPhone 4 three weeks ago and it was shipped from HK the other day. It should be here on the 17th. With that exciting bit of information out of the way, could someone please clarify tethering and some data plan stuff?

For ATT, do I have tethering? I've had an ATT account for over five years now and have been reading around on the forum which brought to my attention the fact that only some people have tethering. Apparently there's a difference between unlimited data's tethering abilities and 2 gigabyte data's tethering? Unless ATT changed my data plan, I have had the unlimited data plan for my iPhone 3g and am wondering what the consequences are for having this plan and not the 2 gigabyte plan. This is crucial to know because I'm going to be moving soon and might not have internet access for a while.

Continuing, will ATT come hunt me down for using FaceTime over 3g? I remember the rumors back in the day that ATT was notifying people of their unauthorized use of tethering over 3g. Will this happen with FaceTime?

Finally, does JBing the iPhone 4 slow it down just as it did to the 3g?

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    Where did you hear that? That never happened.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I clearly remember that the rumors people started about ATT contacting you brought fear into the hearts of all the people on this forum. Apparently they were able to tell if your phone was using data or your computer was and also if it was over 4 gigabytes which apparently is the upper limit for the so called unlimited data plan. And if they did find that your computer was using the data, they'd contact you.

Here is a pristine example

4. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

they have nothing in place to tell if you are tethering. Unless you go to sites like windows updates, sites you would have no reason to go to on your phone, you will be ok. I used to use 30 gig a month tethering and never had an issue. Also the unlimited plan does not have a cap. only the air card plans have a cap. they also can not charge you for data used. all they can do is cancel your data plan and make you sign up for the correct one

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Check the iPhone "hacks" forum for best results.

As for JB, I've noticed a somewhat reduced battery life, but haven't noticed sluggishness (unless I install something from Cydia that isn't compatible with iOS4). Overall, very happy with it. I haven't tethered, but have tried FaceTime over 3G (via My3G) and it works when you have the bandwidth.