Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superdelphinus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
It's better to wait and see if these rumoured revisions come to fruit rather than rushing out and buying my first macbook now right?

I really really want one. It will have to be the most basic one i think though and there are a number of things i'm concerned about. The fact that the lower one now only has a combo drive i'm not that bothered about because i have an external dvd burner that will work with a mac but obviously it would be more convenient to have one built in which i guess is probably going to happen with the lowest one in the the next revision.

Also i really like the style of the current one and don't think an all alluminium case is really going to do it for me.

What do you think i should do?! Have been saving up for one for a while and don't want to get one now but then get massive buyer's remorse when a super duper new one comes out 2 months later.

Agh etc, woe is me

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
If you really need it know buy it! You have a DVD burner and be honest, when do you actually use it? I have had combo for 4 years and it only cause trouble once.

If you don't need it now, wait, and if you like the design buy it. If you don't get a refurb or used one...

Sorry thats my best advice.

Superdelphinus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
yeah that's kid of what i'm thinking. Otherwise it's going to be a buy the old one the second after the new one is announced if i don't like it!

ps not arsed about a 0.x ghz speed bump either. Only thing that would really interest me is a hugely improved battery life really

Darsh

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
If you need it now, buy it... from what I've been reading, the upgrade won't be a massive change. I bought the same model you're thinking about (the cheapest) Macbook and couldn't be happier with it - its my first Mac and by far the best computer I've ever owned (and I've owned some really nice PC's).

I know what you mean about waiting for the latest and greatest, but you'll never stop waiting! Unless you can wait to see what this upgrade is going to be, or you know you need something from it (which it doesn't sound like you do) you might as well purchase now.

Superdelphinus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
thanks guys - i think my mind is made up, just wanted to see if i'd get some DON'T BE AN IDIOT WAIT! type responses! The annoying thing is that i had to buy the girlfriend a cheap dell laptop (which is actually rather impressive - inspiron 1525) just so i could get a mac one!

women...

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
Even if they announce a new aluminum macbook tommorow, the white and black versions will still be avaialable. I'm considering a macbook myself and I'm holding off. I want a smaller version of the macbook pro, with multitouch. But we all want different things. But whatever you do, don't fell pressure. A mac is supposed to relieves stress, not create it.:D

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
IMO, I would still save money and get the middle-Macbook. Not only you get a DVD burner, but you get a faster processor, 2x the memory, bigger harddrive for 200$ more... I think it's worth to look this option too.

Cheer

Superdelphinus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
I'm from the UK and the middle one is closer to $300 more here. I'm not really going to need to burn dvds very often and when i am i have an external burner. Plus the ram i will just get from a 3rd party sans the Apple tax!

The multi touch is a good point. Not sure if it's a good enough reason to hold off though

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
How about this. You could wait until the new ones come out. Then if you like them you could get the base model as it will be the same price as the base model one at the moment.

If you don't like the new ones then you will be able to get one of the older ones with a better spec for probably roughly the same money as what the new base model would cost.

Hence you are then in a win win situation.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Just got a new penryn white MB and added extra ram. Got
it through Amazon with $75 rebate and no sales tax. OWC has
4 gig ram kit for $89.95.

It screams. I love it.

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
yes that's what a sensible man would do

but i want one NOW!

I would follow Santa Rosa's advice.

On the other hand...... do you NEED your laptop now, or would you WANT to have it now. Big difference.

I really start looking to get a mac when the 1st generation of iMac G4 came out. (I still have the brochure). That was early 2002. But, I didn't need the machine, as my PC would do everything I asked it to do. So I hold off. I continued looking at the iMac and iBook as they were getting bumps. Then, summer before college, August 2006, I bought my Macbook. And I made the good decision, because at the time, I needed a new machine.

So, even if you WANT one now, hold on ;).

Go outside ! Graphics are beautiful!

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
Get the white one now and enjoy it. Look for a good deal on one with a superdrive, that way you'll not have remorse about that (plus you may want to sell it). Ram and hdd are super easy to upgrade. If you have-to-have the next model, wait and let them get the bugs out, then decide what to do with your current one. The clearance section at apple.com changes quick sometimes, so keep a check on it.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
yes that's what a sensible man would do

but i want one NOW!

Come on lets be realistic here, I know macs are great but im sure you would be able to survive with a PC until the new macbooks, WWDC is a month and a bit away and Im sure there is no necessity to have a mac right now!

Just wait till WWDC see what happens, as others have said its a win win situation! The mid range (old/current) macbook will be a lower price (within your range) and the (new) macbook may have a snazzy design, mutlitouch and other unexpected wonders!

If like me your laptop will last 3+ years you may atleast wait a small period of time to ensure you get the best quality for your buck!

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Go to Amazon.com and get a great deal on a MacBook now. They're awesome machines and honestly the updated versions won't be out probably until the end of the year if that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.