please can someone help me and bear with me lol

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimmyrussell, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jimmyrussell, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

jimmyrussell macrumors newbie

hi my name is james, i have an iphone 3gs 32gb,it packed up on me and the screen went black like the battery was dead !?i plug it into the wall and the iphone says insert into itunes! when i unplug it from the wall the itunes message dissapears?the screen is just black when i insert it into my apple mac ? i have to hold down power and home to see any sort of message ? i tried everything to fix it, restore, putting it in dfu mode nothing ?then one day i left it charging for three days i unplugged it from the wall and the itunes message stayed and it restored! it lasted 2 month ? now its done it again so its been in my draw for 3 month and i want it back ? its not insured and i dont have any money to fix it at an apple store? i have an apple macbook 2010 but i am not very good with computers , please can someone help ??? and explain to me like im a 10 year old using a laptop lol ! any help much appreciated ??? error 1604 and 2001 on itunes i dont think its the battery !

2. jthomp macrumors regular

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the phone is "broken". Sounds like it might be the battery, but i'm not sure. When you tried to restore it via itunes, any error messages or anything?

3. jimmyrussell thread starter macrumors newbie

when i plug it into the laptop and hold down power and home it comes up with error 2001 and dfu mode comes up with error 1604 ??? or vice versa ??

4. jthomp macrumors regular

Here is what Apple says:

"Error 1604: This error is often related to USB timing. Try changing USB ports, uninstalling and reinstalling USB ports, and other available USB troubleshooting steps (troubleshooting USB connections, device not recognized properly, computer won't recognize a FireWire or USB device). If you are using a dock, bypass it and connect directly to the white Apple USB dock connector cable. If the issue persists on a known-good computer, the device may need service.

If the issue is not resolved by USB isolation troubleshooting, and another computer is not available, try these steps to resolve the issue:

Connect the device to iTunes, confirm that the device is in Recovery Mode. If it's not in Recovery Mode, put it into Recovery Mode.
    Restore and wait for error 1604.
    When prompted, click OK.
    Close and reopen iTunes while iPhone remains connected.
    iPhone should now be recognized in Recovery Mode again.
    Try to restore again."

"Error 2000-2009 (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, and so on): If you experience this issue on a Mac, disconnect third-party devices, hubs, spare cables, displays, reset the SMC, and then try to restore. If you are using a Windows computer, remove all USB devices and spare cables other than your keyboard, mouse, and the device, restart the computer, and try to restore. If that does not resolve the issue, try the USB issue-resolution steps and articles listed for Error 1604 above. If the issue persists, it may be related to conflicting security software."

Hope that helps get you started.... Not sure if it's software or hardware issue. Might be time to thing about an upgrade as the new iPhone is right around the corner... :D

5. j4bles macrumors member

Did you have iOS 5 on the device? I got the 1604 error earlier in the week. Weird I know, but I had to re-install iTunes and the latest beta iOS 5 to fix it. If you didn't have iOS 5 installed, disregard my solution. There are many websites out there that have solutions to try and help the error. Google it and start going down the list until you find a combination that works for you.

If nothing works, take it to Apple. If it's out of warranty, purchase the new iPhone coming out.