Please can you help a new member? rMBP screen problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ezz04, Nov 29, 2015.

1. ezz04 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I hope you can forgive me for asking for help on my first post - I promise to try and be a good member of the community, and give some help in return as and when I can.

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (ME865 / A1502).

There are a number of horizontal lines right at the bottom of the screen (over the dock essentially), like lines of bad pixels.

When I connect the MacBook to an external display via the HDMI port, the image on the external device is perfect.

My question is, if anyone is willing to help please, does this pretty much confirm that the fault is the screen in the MacBook itself, rather than a graphics processor/logic board fault?

I am happy to pay for a new screen, but don't want to spend money on that to find it wasn't the problem...

Any advice truly appreciated, many thanks in advance,

Ezz.

p.s. the fault is there even on boot up, not just when 'in' El Capitan, so doesn't seem to be a software problem either

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Try a SMC reset and a PRAM reset and see what happens.

It could easily be the logic board or the screen.

If you are near an Apple Store/Apple authorised reseller, they should be able to run a diagnostic to see which it is.

3. ezz04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SSD-GUY, really appreciate your time replying.

I have tried the SMC and PRAM reset (should have said, sorry).

I am quite a way from an Apple store unfortunately, but may have to make the journey. As I said before, I was hoping to discover it was pretty much certainly the screen, in which case I will just pay to have it replaced.

Thanks once again, Ezz.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It would help if you could post a picture of the issue you're seeing. If the image looks good on an external display, its possible that it is not related to the GPU or logic board.

5. ezz04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you T5BRICK, that was my thinking too.

I will upload an image very shortly, cheers.

6. ezz04 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ezz04 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's about as good as I can capture it guys, hope it may help with the solution.

Thanks once again.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's really odd. I've seen lines across the screen before, but they're typically solid, unbroken lines. I'm still suspecting that the screen itself is the problem here. Hopefully Apple can diagnose it quickly and fix it for you.

9. ezz04 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is a bit weird, I'm guessing the screen has some minor impact damage, and that a new one will resolve the problem. I will report back as and when I know for sure, it may help others in the future.

Thanks once again for your time guys.