Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
My version has Thunderbolt on both sides, as far as I know the 2018, i7’s did. Not sure on the speakers, keyboard for sure, but I have no issues with the current machine keyboards. The machine was $2010 including tax - I got a discount and the Apple Care was $257 (discount again) so I would have $2270 in the machine and I could probably get $1100 from an online vendor or maybe $1350 for a private sale, so I am in for at least $1000 to upgrade. Might try buying a refurb 12 inch MacBook for that.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
All
Just closing off the thread.
I went for the i5 in the end. It is not a reduction of the performance I have now. What pushed me to order was the keyboard which sounds ridiculous but my daughters air arrived today and I spent the morning setting it up with her. The Magic keyboard is a joy to use. So that along with a small bump in performance and the fact that due to the sale of all the old tech my cash outlay is very small, I am a happy boy.

Thanks to all who provided opinion and perspective on this thread. It is really appreciated.

Josh

Reactions: KPOM

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
All
Just closing off the thread.
I went for the i5 in the end. It is not a reduction of the performance I have now. What pushed me to order was the keyboard which sounds ridiculous but my daughters air arrived today and I spent the morning setting it up with her. The Magic keyboard is a joy to use. So that along with a small bump in performance and the fact that due to the sale of all the old tech my cash outlay is very small, I am a happy boy.

Thanks to all who provided opinion and perspective on this thread. It is really appreciated.

Josh
Did you have a chance to compare the benchmarks between the old and new machine? I know you did research, but real time benchmarks.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hi
MBP arrived and for the first time ever after many new macs I used the migration assistance and all seems to have worked very well.

for those wanting comparisons with the 2018 i7 I have I started to run Geekbench but the new mbp was being identified as a 16 inch model. WHey would that be?

thanks

josh

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

putting aside the fact that Geekbench says my new 13 inch is a 16 inch the scores are below. Background info.
I used migration assistant to set up the new Mac. The new Mac is still only in the first 12 hours so no idea if that means there is background tasks going.

Both have 16GB of ram

2Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1038NG7 CPU @ 2.00GHz
1222 Single-Core Score
4454 Multi-Core Score
Open CL Score of 8387

2018 i7 -8559u 2.7Ghz
1053 Single-Core Score
4401 Multi-Core Score
OpenCL score of 8081

In real life day to day usage of web browsing, Lightroom and photoshop use not sure I will see a real difference. But I didn't buy the BTO maxed out I was originally going for and therefore saved money to get the new machine with a keyboard that is genuinely so much better than the 2018 version.

From a "Man maths" perspective which is how I started this thread this is where I ended.

Sold
Sonos sound bar *2= £605
Macbook 12 inch *2 & iPad Pro 9.7 = £970
Occulus rift = £300

Total sold so far = £1,875

Bought
MacBook Air £910
MacBook Pro £2000
Total = £2,910

Leaving me with a deficit of £1,035

I have an offer for the 2018 MBP for £840 so total deficit = £195. Now that works in my book :)
If the other half challenges then my simple answer is to see that is what you spend on a pair of shoes. :)

thanks again all.

Josh

Reactions: edubfromktown

jeme

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Wow, so not much difference at all. I still have the exact two machines and still debating on opening the new one or returning it. I do not really have issues with the keyboard and my only point of reference is the keyboard on the Ipad Magic Keyboard - which I absolutely love by the way.

josh bear

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
Hi

at the end of the day you will have a great machine no matter what you choose. In my opinion I would keep the 2020 as the keyboard is really that good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.