Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TLmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Here are my current uses for a computer:

Searching
email
Google Docs/Sheets for a home business and tax records
shopping
journaling
pictures/videos
Use of calendar to keep track of appointments/family events/3 kids schedules

I am currently on a HP computer with Windows 8 that I HATE!! It crashed 2 times in the past yr (I bought it 14 months ago). I've paid more to fix it than what I paid for it. I could have been 1/2 way to the price of a Macbook already!

Besides hating Windows 8 and this HP....is converting over to a Mac Book worth the $$$.

And if so, would a Mac Book Air be better for me?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Only you can determine if a MacBook... or any device... is worth it to you. Everyone has different values and while some find a MacBook is ideal for them and well worth it, others find it isn't. None of their views will affect your own experience. Based on your planned uses, any computer made in recent years can easily accommodate your needs. It comes down to your preferences. Do you prefer OS X over Windows? Do you prefer the portability of a notebook versus a desktop computer? Only you can answer these questions.

Objectively, I see a lot more people migrating from Windows to OS X than the other way.

TLmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Ok...valid point. But I guess I'm trying to get opinions from others that already have Mac's that may have been feeling the same way I do.

I can say that I have an Iphone and even though it's had it's glitches (battery issues but I think a lot of that is me forgetting to close apps out), I LOVE IT! So software wise, I feel like I am part way there (learning curve).

Until I experienced Windows 8, I never hated Windows so much. I have a 6 yr old Toshiba computer that came with Vista (a friend put Windows 7 in it), it's been my best working computer to date. However, Windows 8 and 10 soon are what would be in a new one.

Another ? is: Is flash memory the same as SSD? I can post a link to the one I'm considering if that helps...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok...valid point. But I guess I'm trying to get opinions from others that already have Mac's that may have been feeling the same way I do.

Another ? is: Is flash memory the same as SSD? I can post a link to the one I'm considering if that helps...
After using Windows extensively since it was originally introduced, I left Windows for OS X almost 7 years ago and I've never regretted the switch. Yes, Flash memory is basically the same as a SSD.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Get a MacBook Air. Although you seem like the kind of person who would get along just fine with a Chromebook.

The hardware really doesn't matter. OS X is great, and I'd use it if it came in a computer encased in a cardboard box. :D You could really make your business more efficient with the stuff built-in. Learn to use Spotlight, tagging, custom searches and the like.

Itsedstech

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas
I had absolutely no need for a macbook pro whatsoever. Had a windows 7 compuer, 4 gb of ram 500gb hard drive. i didnt use my computer for games other than rollercoaster tycoon every once in a while. did no video or picture editing. nothing. all i do is facebook, twitter, gmail, amazon, itunes. watch movies and listen to music. all that my windows did perfectly. Went ahead and bought myself a 8gb ram 512gb ssd macbook pro retina last year, and i love it! still use windows at work but for my home computer its awesome. do i need it? not at all. do i love it? yes! its a nice feeling of satisfaction whenever i pick it up and open it :) go for it man!

TLmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
I don't "need" one either (a Mac, specifically)...but I do need a computer for keeping track of client files...so for ease of mind that my computer will work when I go to use it, I would like a Mac. I've heard they don't tend to crash or get viruses (I know that's not to say it's 100% foolproof).

My plan is to pay off my credit card, take that monthly payment and put it away to pay for a Mac in full...A reward of sorts for getting my CC paid off. Could I add to my debt and get it now (like I WANT to). Sure...but I'm hoping by May I will have saved up for it! I just hope that months of saving for it and spending "that kind of $$" on a computer will bring me to say I won't regret it. I DO KNOW I regret buying this HP (even though a friend has kept it working for me)...I've spend $600+ on it and never quite feel like it's well spent $$ :(

Anyway...that's my story...Lol..And thank you for any input you all have added! :D

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Searching
email
shopping
journaling
pictures/videos

I am currently on a HP computer with Windows 8 that I HATE!! It crashed 2 times in the past yr (I bought it 14 months ago). I've paid more to fix it than what I paid for it. I could have been 1/2 way to the price of a Macbook already!

Besides hating Windows 8 and this HP....is converting over to a Mac Book worth the $$$.

With your stated needs, you don't need more more computing power than what an iPad has. Get the lowest spec Macbook air, it'll more than up to the task.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

Searching
email
shopping
journaling
pictures/videos

These are questions that only you can answer. I'd first start with more questions.

Why do you hate Windows 8?
Why do you think a Mac will be better?
Are you using Windows 8 or 8.1? (I disliked the interface and organization of 8, but 8.1 is actually useable to me)

Need more details. From what I read though it seems for sure you had hardware issues so maybe you just have reliability concerns.

TLmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
I had considered an Ipad but I've been told by my sister who is a teacher (similar field I am in) that Word (or Google Docs/Sheets), which I will use weekly, is more user friendly on a laptop vs. a tablet/Ipad for creating documents (and I know you can add a keyboard to an Ipad).

So I think I just have to go to a store and try them all out side by side to decide (Ipad/Air/Pro). Thanks again! :cool:

----------

Need more details. From what I read though it seems for sure you had hardware issues so maybe you just have reliability concerns.[/QUOTE said:
Yes...reliability is probably 100% of this. possible switch over.

The HP computer is my first Windows 8 computer so maybe it's a combo of both Windows/HP. Although I've had other Window versions/brands crash on me (Dell is another OFF my list of choices). My friend who fixed the HP to get it back to working order tried to put Windows 7 on it but the computer wouldn't allow it to downgrade the software.

So I *THINK* a Mac would be better b/c I have heard others talk about how much they love theirs b/c of no issues (not like PC users experience anyway).
But since I don't have one...I don't know.

(Clearly I don't know how to do the quote box above). Sorry! ;)

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
We will most likely see newer, cheaper MacBook Airs in the spring, so I would absolutely suggest you wait until those come out. Based on what you've mentioned your uses are, there is absolutely no benefit for you to go with a MacBook Pro over an Air.

Honestly I think a Chromebook might actually fit your needs better, and would be much, much cheaper.

kgvickers

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I used Macs exclusively 20 years ago but switched to Windows machines in about 1998 when I changed jobs. I actually like Windows, but, just for grins, 3 months ago I bought a MacBook Air cheap on craigslist just to re-learn Macs. Since then I've bought 8 more, refurbed them, and resold 6 of them on craigslist. So I'm nearly where you are right now.

I think you'll love a Mac. The baked-in Yosemite email app is fantastic. Apple's new "continuity" feature is really nice - it allows you to text and place calls from your Mac as long as you've got an iphone using iOS 8 on the same wifi network (there may be some other rules, can't recall at the moment).

I recommend starting with a good used 13" one, and there are plenty of good deals on craigslist. Get at least a 2011 model with an i5 processor. They often can be found for as low as $450, but don't pay more than $600 for a 2011 model. The mid-2012 added USB 3.0 which is nice for the speed but those will fetch more money.

The nice thing about buying used is IF you decide to go back to Windows you'll probably be able to recover most, if not all, of the money you paid for the Mac. But if you're not comfortable buying used, look into getting a refurbished unit from Apple. Less expensive and the warranty is the same as new.

BTW, if you liked Windows 7 and you hate Windows 8.1, try "ClassicShell". It will make Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7.

Cheers.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You should wait until the new MacBook Airs with retina display are announced. I think you would be quite happy with it. Of course, it is pricey compared to some budget laptop models, but you also get what you pay for.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You should wait until the new MacBook Airs with retina display are announced. I think you would be quite happy with it. Of course, it is pricey compared to some budget laptop models, but you also get what you pay for.
Why wait, when current models are overkill for the OP's needs? Even buying a refurbished older model would be more than sufficient. There's no need to wait or pay a higher price for a newer model with capabilities the OP likely doesn't need.

PIMP

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015

Searching
email
shopping
journaling
pictures/videos

For your purposes, it's well worth the price. Skip the Air and purchase a Pro instead.

Mine has yet to crash yet but has had a few hiccups in regards to Flash compatibilities.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
I grew up using Windows-based PCs and bought a late 2013 15" rMBP. I will never go back.

I use it for a bit broader array of things than you listed, but I definitely don't tax it to its full capabilities either (e.g. no video editing, only Lightroom photo editing from time-to-time and no photoshop, etc.) and it has worked extremely well overall.

I think you would enjoy a Macbook Pro and would skip the Air unless extreme portability is a major issue for you.

Also, nothing wrong with going refurbed from Apple to save some money.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Since you mention pictures/video as a requirement, what are your space requirements? I could never go with an Air due to the limited disk space. Don't forget that the memory and SSD in current MacBooks are not upgradable so you need to buy for the future to a degree.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA

Searching
email
shopping
journaling
pictures/videos

You're asking a frequently asked question.

Personally I use both MacBook Air and Pro Retina models for work and personal along with cross platform ThinkPads. It's truly a matter of matching any computer to the job.

What you read in forums can be next to useless since workflows and usage patterns span an extremely broad spectrum. Bias is also a factor.

The very best computer is the one you choose after performing your due diligence via comprehensive research. Google is your friend.

(MBPR is my choice)

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I've been a Windows user for most of my life because that's the only software I was raised into. When I got my first desktop computer, it was Windows and it kept crashing every couple of months. Then I got a Sony laptop, with the same result. I then decided I've had enough of Windows, it's time for me to migrate over, so two Christmases ago, I bought myself my rMBP (15" late 2013) and I've been happier since. This is the best laptop I've ever owned and I can't see myself ever going back to Windows.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
A 13" Macbook Air sounds ideal HW-wise (if you don't mind the display) but if you want to end your computer related problems and live happily ever after, go for it and get a Retina Macbook Pro, you won't regret. The display is simply gorgeous, OS X is super fast and stable, the keyboard is a dream to type on and except a few glitches related to Yosemite launch, it's been also problem free for me from day one.

And don't forget about the cool laptop factor - every time you walk over to your Macbook sitting on a table, lift the screen up, watch the Apple logo on the rear light up and see the machine silently and instantly come to life, you'll get this "holy ***** this is such a cool laptop" feeling and you will enjoy every little otherwise annoying task as a reason to fire up the Macbook. I'm not being funny at all, after several months I still get fascinated by my rMBP and I love doing even boring everyday tasks on it.

A Macbook is great - simply because it makes you feel great using it. It's not a boring windows machine, it's something you either dislike or fall for. Visit an Apple store, try playing with both Macbooks, if you don't fall in love, they're probably not worth it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are utilities that make win8 behave more like win7, and windows 10 (the consumer preview) is being well received.

With that said, you need to determine of the price of OSX and the cost of new apps are worth it. Make sure the apps you need are in fact available as well.

From your stated tasks, either 13" or a 15" MBP would be fine.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Please convince me a Macbook is worth it!

Besides hating Windows 8 and this HP....is converting over to a Mac Book worth the $$$. And if so, would a Mac Book Air be better for me?

dont know if the mba is right for you, but the problem was a cheap computer in the first place. usually when you pay more, you get better one. hence compairing your comp to macbook is useless and thinking of "what if"... if you want to get better quality, you need to pay more. is it osx or win, is it up to you which you prefer and how much are you willing to pay (including possible peripherals, software etc...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.