Please Convince Me Not To Return My MB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by donster28, Dec 18, 2008.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

I've had my Aluminum MB 2.0 for about a week now. Bought it from Best Buy with a $100 discount and some added bonus:

$50 for (everything below):
    HP all in one printer
    iPod Shuffle
    iWork 08

I have the late 2007 MBP Core2Duo 2.16 and I bought the MB as a portable replacement while my MBP sits at home.

Don't get me wrong, this is the MB I've been waiting for with an all aluminum casing. I just have one problem...the screen. I have no problems with the mirror like glare and resolution, I have no dead or stuck pixels, I have no dust under the glass. I just have a problem with the screen'vertical viewing angle!

See, no matter how I calibrate it at any angle and no matter how I tilt the screen, I seem to not get a middle ground to the problem. If I tilt the screen towards me, the top gets brighter but the bottom gets even brighter to the point of washing out everything on the dock. If I tilt the screen away, the bottom gets darker but the top gets even darker to the point of it exhibiting a negative/polarizing effect. There's just no middle ground, I will always get a slightly brighter bottom screen. :mad: (This problem is quite obvious while looking at pictures and watching movies. Everyday surfing isn't affected as much.)

Damn, how I wish Apple used a better LCD panel. Mine is apparently not the LG but the other one...pardon me for not remembering the brand...arrgh...but it's supposed to be the better of the 2 panels used for the aluminum MB.

I have seen the new MBP screen and it's totally devoid of this problem. My old MBP's screen is equally problem free.

I have seen the MB Air screen and it's equally superior.

My question is, should I return the MB and fork for the Air? I have no need for a MBP since I already have one and it works great.

I also do cashual gaming on-the-go (Spore, WOW, Quake, etc.).

Will I be making a mistake getting the lower end 1.60 MB Air?

Just want your opinions. Thanks in advance. :)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

a mba is a great secondary computer as you already have a mbp

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I actually have no problems with the viewing angle because I sit pretty properly and level my head to the screen. Any other method of sitting is bad for the body. The screen looks just as well as any other screen I've used. Granted it could be better but its not horrible either. The mirror effect, I don't even see it unless I'm using the system in the backyard or in my car.

For the casual gamer, I'd pick the MB over the MBA anytime because you do get some advantages from the faster CPU and slightly higher clocked GPU.

4. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks much for the quick reply. Did you try watching a widescreen movie or look at some photographs (preferrably ones with totally dark background on the the top and bottom.)? Does your exhibit the same problems?

Greatly appreciated. :)

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't get some of these threads...
    Dude, how is any one of us going to chance your mind? If i tell you that mine is FINE and it doesn't bother me at all, will you then keep yours?!?! I don't understand....
    Obviously the screen IS a problem for you, and you're going to have to decide if it's significant enough to return the MB... What could we say that will CONVINCE you no to return it?!?! :confused: you're the one who's gonna have to live with it..

6. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

VSMacOne, there's always a good opinion that can convince anyone. In my case, I am in the middle and cannot decide and needs a good opinion.

Of course I know it's totally up to me to decide at the end. But I do need opinions that might weigh in and change my mind and ultimately maybe save me the hassle of exchanging. I just need some "weights" to weigh and balance.

Before I even posted here, I asked my friend's opinions and they do weigh in too. The purpose of having a forum is to lay down different opinions to make good discussions that can help forum members.

It's these type of responses that I do not understand...why even ask why I posted this thread? Aren't we supposed to help each other here?

I appreciate your response though.

7. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Go with the Air. The new generation with the 9400M is perfect for mobile gaming too. :)

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Keep the new MB and get a neckbrace. That way you won't move your neck or head at all and keep the optimum viewing level at all times.

Or the other thing that bolts into your skull. Whatever that's called.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Pictures don't justify anything. I'm assuming you have the MB already. There is light leakage on my screen because it is glossy (matte appears to have less leakage on some parts, plus you have a glass screen acting as a glossy instead of a actual glossy LCD panel, could be wrong about that). Any type of glossy screen will have some light leak, some are worse, some are okay, some are "perfect" (I put it in quotes because no screen is absolutely perfect). My light leakage is minimal depending on the viewing angle. If i want to make it look bad, i can, just change the angle.

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Oh I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying.. This particular issue seems to be Black & White.. You either LIKE the screen and can live with it, or you DON'T and you take it back and get the Air...
    You might just have a bad screen.. I would take a trip to the Apple store or Best Buy and look at a few on display for comparison.. My MB screen is fine, and I use it a LOT for a bunch of different things: movies, shows, internet, etc.. for me PERSONALLY it works like a charm, but like I said, the screen doesn't create the SLIGHTEST problem for me.

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I have to agree with VSMacOne, I use my MacBook for pretty much everything now since I absolutely hate using my old PC, and the screen is perfect. If you're gonna say, "go look at a MBP and then talk"...I have seen a MBP screen, since my cousin has one, and yes, it is beautiful, but honestly, if you are looking straight on, which I honestly don't know anyone that would want to look the screen at weird angles...the screen is really nice. The only difference is the black levels, and while the MBP obviously has better, my MacBook does not look bad at all while watching movies.

12. Mackan macrumors 65816

I think the MB screen is rather crappy. Blacks are definatly not black, and viewing angles pretty much suck. But it is fine for what I do. I knew this before I bought it. I have the AUO screen, btw.

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

agreed sir! I laughed when i read the title to this thread!

14. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm resigned to keeping my new al MacBook.

I returned the 2.0 for a 2.4; the 2.4 had an actual screen defect. I returned the 2.4 for another 2.4 which had a slanted key problem, got a final 2.4 that has the worse screen but got it on Black Friday so somehow got the ram upgrade for only 50 dollars.

I'm resolved to keep it. It is small. I have a sturdy Powermac G5 dual core.
    I need a small fast computer which it is. That's about it.

I got it to replace my 12" Powerbook. It does that. Though the lack of firewire is maddening.

15. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I think you should return it, I think you should have chicken for dinner too.

16. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I agree with this post. You should too.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The screen is not for everyone. My MB screen bothered me so much that I did return mine for an Air.

19. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you all for your opinion. I greatly appreciate it.

I admit, this thread has a more personal tone to it and there are no right or wrong answers to my question. I apologize.

I guess you can consider me one of those who are really picky with their screens. I've had dead pixels in the past and never thought twice and exchanged them. None of those were Apple products though so I consider myself lucky with Apple products. If this was a dead pixel problem, I would not have posted a question and immediately exchanged it.

But this is not a defect: it's the quality of the MB and this is what bothers me. It's something I cannot resolve by a simple return...every other MB will have this.

I blame myself for going to the Apple Store and checking out the other screens. I should have just accepted what I have.

With this I think I am going to keep the MB a little longer, until before my return privileges expire, and see if I can live with this. I just calibrated the screen again and seem to have solved my problem a bit. :)

Thanks again.

20. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Same here. That said, I went in to pick up my MBP after a fan replacement, and I decided to take a quick look at the MacBook screen, just to see what all the complaining was about. While the screen clearly isn't as nice as the Pro's panel, I personally think it's still a pretty nice screen. Granted I didn't spend much time with it, but it occurred to me that some of the diatribes I've read in these forums might be just a little exaggerated.

Previous poster's comments are correct in that only you can decide how you feel about it, but if it were me, I think I would be pretty happy with that screen for most uses.

21. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

My screen is 10x better than the last Gateway laptop I had, so I have ZERO problems with it. Sure, the viewing angle isn't the greatest, but who cares...i don't bob my head up and down at different angles. I set it and forget it.

22. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I hate my Macbook screen but I love my Macbook. I have the same issues with the screen as you. You gotta ask yourself whether you hate your screen more than you love your Macbook or if you love it enough you can live with it's faults :)

23. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

+1

Could always get a CRT monitor, brilliant viewing angles on them, :p

24. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I had a rev A Air and the machine was awesome, the screen better, but their were too many compromises so I sold it. The MBP is too big, which leaves me with the MB.

I agree that the vertical angle is annoying, but for me its a secondary machine and for photoshop etc, I have a 24in iMac. I chose to live with it.

If it bugs you now, then return it - it will always bug you and you won't get used to it. You've spent too much money to not be delighted with it.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

As others have said, only you can decide if the panel your MacBook is adequate for you. In my case, the screen is fine for what I do, which doesn't include watching movies, and the limited viewing angle hasn't been a problem - if my head position changes, I simply adjust the screen. I never had a quarrel with those who returned their MacBook because the screen didn't suit them, but did have a problem with those who implied that the rest of us were wrong for continuing to use a defective product. Fortunately, that rhetoric has since died down.

Calibrating helped me a lot. I loaded the desktop pic of the zebra and used that to adjust the controls instead of the graphic in Apple's calibration s/w. The settings ended up very different than they would have been otherwise, but I've been very satisfied with the results.