Please could someone help me with some a Numbers function?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MasterHowl, Jun 25, 2013.

1. MasterHowl, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

I'm counting sedimentary clasts tomorrow (don't ask...) and I need a spreadsheet to help me crunch the numbers.

I made little drop down menus yesterday so it's easy to input the clast type.

[​IMG]

However, I need the total number of that type of clast in a different table (so I can ultimately make a pie chart of clast proportions).

Eg, if I see 25 Calcite clasts, I'll have selected "calcite" 25 times from the drop-down menus, and I need "25" to appear in the table in the screen shot below.

I think it's something to do with the SUMIF() function but I can't get it to work properly.

[​IMG]

I hope explained myself properly! Thanks

PS: apologies for the mistake in the thread title!

2. invertedworld, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

invertedworld macrumors newbie

Try the COUNTIF function

Hi

If I understand you correctly, I think what you need is the COUNTIF function.

It takes two parameters. The first is the range that you want to search, which would be the column in your first table containing the selected items. The second parameter is the value that you're looking for. The result of the function is the number of cells within the range that contain that value.

Using your example, if you created a cell in your second table containing the formula =COUNTIF(Table 1 :: $A, "Calcite"), it would return the number of cells in column A of Table 1 that contained the value "Calcite".

Hope this helps!

Mark

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Here is how I would do it in Excel using the COUNTIF function. I assume Numbers can do the same.

Attached Files:

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

In numbers and Excel, countif will do this as mentioned. In excel, a simple pivot will achieve the same thing. Put the clast composition in the row column and in the values box and it will give you same thing.

5. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl