Please critique this application icon.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I like it, too. Is it supposed to be slides of x-rays piled on top of each other?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
At that size...no problems.
What happens on a system set to 32x32 though (like mine), is it clear then?

Other things you could consider:
- microfilm
- a light box

AppleMatt

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I like it, and it will probably work as a smaller icon, too...

Here is how the file looks at my desktop when I have preview files set, and icons at 24x24 (and a real icon will not have the black edge and will probably scale even better):

Attachments

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i like it, but as others have said, depends on how it scales

my only other suggestion would be to just use a pile of X-Rays as the icon, might scale better and stand out a bit more, great job though

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
It should scale pretty nicely, but will (as with any icon) be indistiguishible at really small sizes (16x16). To fix this, I'll just make a custom icon for that particular size.

Attachments

gallivant

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2004
I'd expand the image part of the x-ray out to much closer to the edge of the square it's on; it'll scale better that way.

iostream.h

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
gallivant said:
I'd expand the image part of the x-ray out to much closer to the edge of the square it's on; it'll scale better that way.
Don't you think that would comprimise the realism of the image of a slide?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Could you make the smaller res images just show the black area, or not shrink it as aggressively? Or else just keep the tooth part and forget the slide frame.

Does the application have anything to do with X-rays?

The last time I went to a dentist, they wanted my whole family to get root planing at a cost of over $2,000. When I asked for a less expensive alternative, they never called me back. I realize the professional associations are after them to extract as much money from each patient as possible; the same attitude is destroying the veterinary profession.

So, if you are making a package to sell to a dentist, make sure you extract as much money from them as possible. Show no mercy.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
gallivant said:
I agree... and I think people would still recognize it as slides as long as you leave some of the border.

Also, you might increase the contrast on the x-ray part so the teeth are a bit brighter.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
Since dentist X-rays do not look like slides, but rather rectangular pieces of film, it seems you could increase the x-ray part of that and it would still make sense

Attachments

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
cubist said:
Could you make the smaller res images just show the black area, or not shrink it as aggressively? Or else just keep the tooth part and forget the slide frame.

Does the application have anything to do with X-rays?

The last time I went to a dentist, they wanted my whole family to get root planing at a cost of over $2,000. When I asked for a less expensive alternative, they never called me back. I realize the professional associations are after them to extract as much money from each patient as possible; the same attitude is destroying the veterinary profession.

So, if you are making a package to sell to a dentist, make sure you extract as much money from them as possible. Show no mercy.
Most dentists are good, upstanding people, just like any other doctor. If you had a bad experience, you should file a complaint with the medical board and talk to another Dentist. But don't assume all Dentists are crap because of one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.