please delete me mods

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killerrobot, Jun 21, 2007.

1. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to... I'd like to know myself, as I have an interest in using BitTorrent to get stuff (completely legal, mind you - like Linux distributions), but don't know a thing about BitTorrent etiquette (other than leaving the client open after you get a file so that others can make use of what you have).

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know if I'd give your full upload, honestly.

I'd probably bump that down to about half your connection, and just seed to as many people as you feel comfortable seeding to at once. Devoting your entire upload bandwidth doesn't leave much you for you to browse with and can cause a noticeable slowdown in internet performance.

As for whether it's better to serve faster to fewer people or slower to more people, I would imagine that it comes out to 6 of one half a dozen of another. The BT protocol is designed to take advantage of whatever pieces of the file are available, so I think it's ultimately a wash.

4. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Watch out for ISP restrictions as well.. Here in the UK for instance, Virgin Media (formerly NTL: Telewest) has put data limits on internet traffic so it's worth looking at before you try serve up a gig or two of material over here...

5. killerrobot thread starter macrumors 68020

killerrobot

TY. I know all about super-seeding, but that totally side steps my question.

I only give it full when I'm not using it. Several good stretches during the day and night. And I was kind of thinking it would be a 6 half a dozen thing, but I was just curious.

Yeah, that's the biggest crock I've ever come across. I didn't get internet here until they got rid of all the restrictions. Insanity.

Side note: what's the fastest service in UK? In Spain -- Jazztell (says up to 20Mb--no one gets near 3) Gotta love it.

Any other comments or ideas are appreciated.

6. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

BE broadband offer up to 24Mbit/s on ADSL, and Virgin Media, who are the only cable operator left in the UK as far as i know, offer up to 20Mbit/s, but i don't have that and i cant say what it's capable of. What i can say though is I've used both ADSL and Cable here in the uk in many parts of the country and cable (where you can get it) wins hands down. Faster initial, average and final download and upload speeds regardless. Mostly because of the lower contention ratio on the networks, but also because people here still tend to just attach the broadband package to whatever telephone service they've had for a while, hence ADSL has more customers i think.. Also cable ain't available in as many areas but that's another thing altogether..